massive scam?

All the problems with redeeming HDTV coupons suggests a massive scam of double-billing. A retailer claims the coupon won't work or is expired, charges full price for the box, but bills the govt for $40 as well. I think that's what's happening to me. I bought a box online just before expiration of my coupon; then after the purchase went through, the seller said there was some problem with the way I registered the coupon. By the time I cleared that up, seller said my coupon had expired and the purchase would proceed at full price, without a coupon. As if they don't have a reasonable time to bill the govt!

Chickie

DTVUSA Member
All the problems with redeeming HDTV coupons suggests a massive scam of double-billing. A retailer claims the coupon won't work or is expired, charges full price for the box, but bills the govt for $40 as well. I think that's what's happening to me. I bought a box online just before expiration of my coupon; then after the purchase went through, the seller said there was some problem with the way I registered the coupon. By the time I cleared that up, seller said my coupon had expired and the purchase would proceed at full price, without a coupon. As if they don't have a reasonable time to bill the govt!
There IS an expiration date on your cards. Did you purchase the box before that date? :confused: If so, then they are scamming you or are dumber then a box of rocks! Call the management about it AND report it to the FCC. File a complaint! And if you're not satisfied, return the box and get a refund.

If you did buy it after the coupon expired, see if they'll refund the difference when you get the new replacement coupon cards! I got that deal from Best Buy. My coupons actually had expired, like 3 days before I went to buy the converter box. Best Buy said they'll refund the difference to me when and IF I get the replacement coupons and told me to hang onto my receipt. The manager even signed the receipt and dated it and wrote on it, that I should get a refund with the new coupon!

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
There IS an expiration date on your cards. Did you purchase the box before that date? :confused: If so, then they are scamming you or are dumber then a box of rocks!
Yikes. lol, I think what he means is, his card was still good, not expired. It is very possible that stores could be charging those cards and telling customers that charges did not go through. I've seen a few posts like that.

Chickie

DTVUSA Member
Yikes. lol, I think what he means is, his card was still good, not expired. It is very possible that stores could be charging those cards and telling customers that charges did not go through. I've seen a few posts like that.
Yeah, they could be scamming the customers or the Gov. but he also said that there was some other issue with the card and by the time the purchase went through, the cards had expired. No 'yikes'! LOL! I was just trying to offer a suggestion as another way to resolve his issue. lol ;)