Question: Mast extension for a J - pipe

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
My problem: using a J - pipe to roof mount an antenna. In the only reasonable location, and coincidentally, where it is mounted now, there is a swamp cooler between antenna and towers. If I can raise it 3 or 4 feet, I am in the clear. Is there a mast or pipe size that will slide into or over a J-Pipe to give me the few extra feet I need?

I know I am going to run into this situation again. I am installing for friends / neighbors and a lot of them are satellite users and have swamp coolers on the roof, and with the towers n & s of us, its going to be a common problem, and I don't want to be moving J- pipe or having them buy them tripod mounts. There are no chimneys in new build houses, and the eaves overhang too far for a wall mount.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Mr Pogi,

I have a J-pipe here and its tubing measurements are: 1.650" OD, 1.536" ID, which may or may not be the same as yours. If I wanted to lengthen it, I'd take it to my local automotive exhaust shop and buy a length of 1.5" steel exhaust pipe. Ask the guys in the shop to use their hydraulic tools to flair one end to make it larger than the outer dimension of your J-pipe, so it would slide right over it. A nice coat of Hammerite spray paint, and you're done.

Jim

MrPogi

Staff member
Thanks, Jim.
I'll give the muffler shop a try. I remember the day when I could go to a department store and buy pipe for mufflers.

I'm hoping for an "off the shelf" solution, as I am sure I'll have more satellite defectors soon. I'm betting the FOX dispute will be pushing a lot of them to the brink.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
SW,

Solid Signal sells 5 foot masts for $29.99 and its MSRP is $39.99? :horse: That's nuts. Fry's sells 10' masts with flared ends for $19.99 and an exhaust shop certainly should be even less expensive.

Jim

MrPogi

Staff member
No Frys in YOU-TAH. (Mr. Pogi curls in the fetal position and sobs quietly to himself)

Need... Frys....

Last edited:

FOX TV

Contributor
Lowes or Home depot sell chain link fence top rails that are identical to the mast pole that Radio Shack sells. It is cheaper than regular mast pole, and it is galvanized and will last much longer, and it is half the price of regular mast pole, and half the price. I use them all the time, and save money too.

MrPogi

Staff member
Has anyone used PVC as a mast? I've come across a whole bunch of 1.25" ID PVC (yea, they don't fit a J-pipe either!)about 4 ft long that I could use to mount antennas, if I can figure a way to do it without it looking ugly.

MrPogi

Staff member
The 1 1/4 inch stuff is schedule 20, pretty hefty, over 1.5 inch OD. I have used (smaller)PVC for attic mounts no problems. I am wondering if anyone has used it as a mast outdoors, if there were any problems, and how was it mounted (fittings, screws, straps, clamps, etc.)

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Re: Outdoor 'plastic' antenna frames. 40+ years ago I built antennas using plastic tubing and I had pretty good results for a few days.

I experienced two problems: UV eats it up and plastic tubing in the horizontal plane was not stable (a definition of plastic) and it sags like a flaccid xxxx. Today's plastic tubing may have better resistance to UV and to gravity.

Jim

MrPogi

Staff member
I have used sch 40 pvc for attic mounts with no trouble. I think modern sch 40 is a lot stronger than what you used back when single cell hammond organizms roamed the earth. My concern would be mounting them as a mast to the roof / wall (how?) and of course the U/V issue. Paint may help the U/V problem.

Pluses for a PVC mast would be cost (I have 2- 55 gal barrels full of 1.5 inch dia. 4 footers - FREE) and you don't need to ground a PVC mast. Antenna, yes, mast, no - Non-conductive.