MDTV - Mobile DTV - ATSC-M/H or whatever else it's called....

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
See: Broadcasters Optimistic about Mobile DTV's Potential

Looks like the Advanced Television Systems Committee is really trying to get the ball rolling with MDTV.

“I’m continually amazed at the momentum that Mobile DTV has gathered in the past year,” Davis said. “Viewer’s heads are turning to Mobile and broadcasters are stepping up to provide that.”
Is Mobile DTV going to make it or miss the mark? With everyone's handhelds going obsolete after the digital transition in 2009....MDTV might just have a chance. What say you guys and girls? :cheesy:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Well, they're investing a lot of time and money into MDTV. It could be a cool way to get OTA back on the map, that is if the Government doesn't start yanking some of the spectrum.

freetv4me

DTVUSA Rookie
I attended this event and beleive that digital OTA DTV in all its new forms will make it. OMVC's Wash DC 300 consumer test w/Sprint phones using DTV chips in a couple months will be the driver. Keep an eye on how OMVC drives this.
The big TV station groups in DC are using their 8 DTV stations with 20 channels including premium pay. Big consumer product manufacturers including Dell, LG,Samsung and Kenwood are participating too.
The 300 consumer trial will be tied into a forum ( I will track this down) to monitor feedback and allow all of us a daily window into what is going on with this Mobile DTV test.

the engineer for ION Networks said, " we should not just think of ourselves as TV broadcasters but, as 'broadband video streaming providers' ".

He is spot-on!

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I attended this event and beleive that digital OTA DTV in all its new forms will make it. OMVC's Wash DC 300 consumer test w/Sprint phones using DTV chips in a couple months will be the driver. Keep an eye on how OMVC drives this.
The big TV station groups in DC are using their 8 DTV stations with 20 channels including premium pay. Big consumer product manufacturers including Dell, LG,Samsung and Kenwood are participating too.
The 300 consumer trial will be tied into a forum ( I will track this down) to monitor feedback and allow all of us a daily window into what is going on with this Mobile DTV test.

the engineer for ION Networks said, " we should not just think of ourselves as TV broadcasters but, as 'broadband video streaming providers' ".

He is spot-on!
Did you happen to know if the MDTV's were able to get decent reception at the event? I've seen a couple of videos from people where the reception looked spotty. Might be due to low broadcast signal for now since we're in the beginning stages of mobile DTV.