Microgem 2000 Review

I ordered a pair of these in June last year. The first quit almost immediately. MicroGem replaced it quickly with a third.

The second of the original pair died last week. So, I am soon to be on my fourth box.

I don't know why these things quit. However I suspect that it has something to do with the fact that they are very small and they get quite warm.

Its a good thing Microgem has a one year warrantee.

I would not buy this brand again.

Some of these boxes are real junk. I'm not sure if all the Microgem converters are like this, but when you buy 2 of them, and both go bad, there's something wrong.

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
Gets very warm = only one CPU? Failure = Possibly burnt heatsink glue?

Sounds like the experience I had with the Sunkey. It got very warm when I used it.

Internally, they used the wrong compound, they used silicon caulk, not silica-bearing glue. Over time that silicon caulk would carbonize, and fail to transfer heat from the overheated multifunction CPU.

I replaced it with thermal grease, which literally sizzled when I turned it on. That was a scary sound, I was expecting it to smoke, but no.

Yours might have a similar thermal situation inside. Open it up, gently twist the heat sink off. If it doesn't budge, don't move it. It's glued.

Chalk it up to the manufacturers cutting corners, why spend 5 cents more for the correct kind of glue? When they have to make thousands of units, those dollars add up. Unfortuantely, that decision bites back when the product doesn't last beyond a warranty, especially those state-mandated ones.

phritzg

DTVUSA Rookie
Bad MicroGem experience

I bought two of these boxes with my coupons nearly a year ago; the first two failed about the same time after only about 2 months use; I had to pay postage to send them back to the manufacturer for replacements; yesterday, one of the replacement units failed. It appears to be an overheating problem. Stay away from MicroGem, these are junk in my opinion. What good is a box if it only lasts about six months tops if you're lucky?

I ordered a pair of these in June last year. The first quit almost immediately. MicroGem replaced it quickly with a third.

The second of the original pair died last week. So, I am soon to be on my fourth box.

I don't know why these things quit. However I suspect that it has something to do with the fact that they are very small and they get quite warm.

Its a good thing Microgem has a one year warrantee.

I would not buy this brand again.
:bolt:

I bought two of these boxes with my coupons nearly a year ago; the first two failed about the same time after only about 2 months use; I had to pay postage to send them back to the manufacturer for replacements; yesterday, one of the replacement units failed. It appears to be an overheating problem. Stay away from MicroGem, these are junk in my opinion. What good is a box if it only lasts about six months tops if you're lucky?
:bolt:

It's amazing to me that 2 people have bought 2 of these boxes and both have failed!

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
yea, strange. luckly, I only got one box and is still working ok for now. hopefully, it won't fail like yours.
Just like any electronic device that's produced, there's always a certain percentage that will fail. If your's hasn't already, I'm sure it'll be fine.

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
they're probably wanting you to feel disgusted with free-to-air TV and switch to cable or satellite. That's not right, and unfair to the advertisers on the free networks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G DirecTV 0