Microsoft: Blu-ray Is Dying

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Microsoft: Blu-ray Is Dying

From the article:

"Microsoft, which has long been on the opposite side of the Blu-ray high-def format, now is predicting that Blu-ray will soon die.

Microsoft was a strong supporter of the HD DVD high-def format which competed against Blu-ray until HD DVD sponsor Toshiba pulled the plug two years ago." ...

... "Microsoft has been wrong about Blu-ray before -- and it's wrong again now." ...

Fine by me. DVDs work just fine, although Bluray is supposed to look better, right? In my opinion, they should have waited a few more years after DVDs made it big to release Bluray and maybe it would have had a higher chance for success.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
amatigress,

Assuming you have a screen that can take advantage of BluRay, the images are superior. much like the difference between SDTV and HDTV.

Jim

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Yup. Its doomed. /sarcasm
But really, I think MS is using it as an "excuse" to not include a B/R in the Xbox 360 as standard equipment.

MrPogi

Staff member
Assuming you have a screen that can take advantage of BluRay, the images are superior. much like the difference between SDTV and HDTV.

Jim
It's great, but the quality difference does not justify the price difference for me. One, I never sit close enough to the TV to notice the difference, two, I can get a DVD for a few bucks (and if used, dirt cheap) and play it on my upconvert DVD. At over 10 feet from the screen... its just fine for me.

Now, when I get that fancy house with a home theater room and 100 inch TV, THEN I'll spend the extra for Blu-Ray! ( but I'm stuck in this house for some time, until the market changes)

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Now, when I get that fancy house with a home theater room and 100 inch TV, THEN I'll spend the extra for Blu-Ray! ( but I'm stuck in this house for some time, until the market changes)
There is a local bar with a 105" TV. Cost $70,000. Do you really think it's worth it Pogi? I'd have to have a lot of money before I'd even think of doing something like that.

MrPogi

Staff member
I'd have to have a lot of money before I'd even think of doing something like that.
Exactly.

But by the time I get to have a new house (economy, job, etc, etc,) they'll be practically giving away 100 inch TV sets, right? ;)

felics

DTVUSA Member
I have a home theater setup that goes along when I purchase the Samsung LCD TV. The salesman told me to try playing blu ray videos and dude it was awesome. The picture and the sound, it seemed like you're inside the movie theater.

jerseygirl

DTVUSA Member
May be you are right, but that is it for me: You have to buy new equipment to take the most out of a BluRay.

Years ago I had to buy new stuff to watch the DVDs because the video player was brought to the graveyard. Now I should buy again new stuff-no.
I am not interested in spending money on something, which will last for a few years only again.

For me it is a waste of time...and money

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
well the Blu ray would not die, just the DVD would die or soon go decreasing all by the demmand of Blu ray players and the increasing of HD televisions by consumers, i think should the prices go down of Blu Ray players in some years or less, remember when the first DVD player was released costed about the same than an new basic LCD TV and now is DVD players so cheap in comparison of the first player in the market.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I know a few folks who say they are going to get 3D and Blu Ray at one time and then watch Avatar on it. I just don't think one movie is worth the expense.

Ricardo

DTVUSA Member
I've seen Avatar on Blu-ray, with an LED screen and it knocked me out. I don't know how many movies there are that would be that impressive at the moment, but as the price of the players and Blu-ray discs comes down, I'm getting closer to making the jump - Blu-ray players play standard DVDs too, don't they?

MrPogi

Staff member
Blu-ray players play standard DVDs too, don't they?
Yes, they do.

I think I'm going to go with an internal Blu-Ray for my media PC rather than a stand-alone. It's cheaper and has more flexibility than a stand alone.

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
Will Blu-ray Or 3D Be Deemed The Bigger Flop?

I wonder, in the years to come, if they both don't make it, if Blu-ray or 3D will be deemed the bigger flop? I don't have either one. If I were to spring for one or the other, I suspect that it would be Blu-Ray first because it is included in some other products that may be nice to have.