Political Discussion: Midnight tonight!

Midnight tonight, 7/24/2013 is the big deadline! Time Warner Cable and WTMJ are working furiously to get an agreement. Otherwise "it's quite possible" it will no longer be carried on TWC starting tomorrow, according to Steve Wexler, General Manager of WTMJ radio and television operations. Wexler actually made a personal appearance on the Morning Show, to explain to viewers how hard they were trying to smooth things over. He also explained that TMJ "and all stations, by the way" (oops) can be viewed over-the-air with an antenna. He went so far as to recommend the ClearStream 2 and put Antennas Direct URL onscreen.

WTMJ is the main station in southeast Wisconsin. It has NBC and all the Packer games!! People in Wisconsin can't live without their Packers. So if you're the 8th caller to WTMJ, you can win a free ClearStream 2 antenna. I bet TWC is quaking in their boots.

Rick

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I wonder how many people put up an antenna very time one of these disputes happen? I also wonder, after seeing they can get lots of TV for free, how many tell their cable company to piss off?

dkreichen1968

Staff member
WTMJ is the main station in southeast Wisconsin. It has NBC and all the Packer games!! People in Wisconsin can't live without their Packers. So if you're the 8th caller to WTMJ, you can win a free ClearStream 2 antenna. I bet TWC is quaking in their boots.
How can this be? The NFC, and therefore most Packer games, are on FOX.

THE BALL HAS DROPPED! If you switch to any WTMJ channel on the TWC lineup (or any of a number of journal station channels in Wisconsin) you get a notice from Time Warner that "While we continue to negotiate, you can still watch many of your favorite shows online, on demand, or with an antenna, in many places for free."

Journal Broadcast Group provides their take here: JBG Answers

Time Warner puts their spin on the affair here: TWCconversations.com

OnMilwaukee has an excellent summary: OnMilwaukee.com Movies & TV: WTMJ-TV signal off air for Time Warner Cable customers

Interesting to see both sides pointing to an antenna as one solution to the dilemma. I'm certainly no fan of Time Warner CATV, but I think TWC wins this round of the debates. TMJ was already getting much more than the fee required by law. Now they want a 200% increase. That's right, they want to TRIPLE their fee on a product they offer for free to many viewers. At least that's the scoop from TWC, and TMJ does not deny it. Have they improved content 200%? Have they improved it at all? Not so you'd notice!

Only possible explanation: Journal Communications thinks your cable bill isn't high enough. :censored:

Rick

Search me! I vaguely remember noticing the Packers on two different TWC channels back when I had CATV, but I'm not positive. Maybe the FOX coverage is blocked in Wisconsin. I'm almost certain that channel 4 (both OTA and on TWC) has every Packer game, but then again, I only watch if they get into the playoffs. Not a big sports guy.

R.

Correct, my mistake. I could claim I was talking about the radio station WTMJ. :eyes: WTMJ TV gets the pre-season games, starting August 9 (I think). That's another big deadline hanging over this deal.

So even less reason for TWC to triple the TMJ bribe!

Rick

And the Beat Goes On

We're into the second week of the big blackout, and August 9 is rapidly approaching. I watched Steve Wexler again with my nifty outdoor/indoor antenna, and he says "it feels like" Time Warner is "using" TMJ as an example to put the fear of god into CBS in their pending dispute. The deadline on THAT deal is TOMORROW, with markets in New York, Houston and LA at stake. THAT should be fun to watch! :becky:

Cable company profits increase year after year, yet subscribers decrease. That means the average cable bill is going up, up and awaaaaay! I think TWC has smelled the coffee. People are voting with their feet, and if they continue to pay rising rebroadcast fees, in five years TWC will be right in the old porcelain facility.

Everyone in pay-TV dispute is making money except subscribers; more blackouts occur - JSOnline

Rick

If you want to get the Packers game on Time Warner Cable tonight, you can get it on Telemundo, channel 27. It will be in Soanish, but you can also turn down the sound and turn on the radio -- 620 AM WTMJ -- for commentary. Titan TV does not reflect this recent change. You can still catch the last half of the game!

Rick

[edit:] I just flicked on channel 4 OTA, and Packers are losing to Arizona 14-0, so ... maybe you won't want to watch.

Last edited:
This is getting SERIOUS

WTMJ in Milwaukee, and WGBA in Green Bay have been off Time Warner Cable's lineup for 23 days now. Last Wednesday, the Journal Broadcast Group, which owns both stations, asked the consumer protection and antitrust unit of the Wisconsin attorney general's office to begin "an enforcement action to require Time Warner to fulfill its statutory obligations to provide Wisconsin consumers with a credit for the service they have been denied and to stop charging for programming it is no longer providing." They also posted a form letter, which viewers can email to the Attorney General requesting this hypothetical rebate.

On the same day, TWC substituted the Game Show Network for WTMJ and WGBA in its lineup. Coincidence? We report, YOU decide. TWC also released this statement: "We look forward to discussing with the Attorney General why the law cited by Journal Broadcasting Group does not apply in this situation, and why Journal persists in misleading its viewers in this way."

Meanwhile, the opening preseason Packer game earned JBC a 16.5 rating, down from 22 last year. Each rating point represents approximately 9,500 viewers. And several disgruntled TWC customers have joined in class action lawsuits per the disputes with JBC and CBS.

Journal Broadcast, Time Warner still swinging; viewers being bloodied - JSOnline

Rick