Minneapolis Reception Problems

C

CoolGirl

I have an older tv, new converter box & antenna in Minneapolis, MN area. We receive basically 4 channels Wcco, Country music, cool tv and cw.

Wow I have never been so disapointed. Our signal strength is ranging from 30-40%. We are trying every location with our antenna. Why can we not receive our local & regional PBS station & more substantial news channels??? What are we supposed to do?

Aerial

DTVUSA Member
Please go to http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29 and use the exact address to run a free antenna survey. The exact address makes an accurate report. For your security, your address will not appear in the final result. Be sure to include the actual maximun height above ground level you can have an antenna, then post the resulting URL here for us to study. Another question: how many Tv's are/will be connected? It makes a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you may have an indoor antenna. Reception is hit and miss indoors just as it was years ago with rabbit ears. What kind of building do you live in? What kind of antenna? How is reception for your next door neighbors?

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
I am also in the area. What feedline are you using? How long is the run? I really encourage people to use only RG-6, or better, coaxial cable throughout the system.

C

CoolGirl

Yes, we have a indoor antenna. It's real cheap, just two poles and a wire connected to the converter box. Not sure about our neighbors, I'll try to ask tomorrow.

It's only a 5' cord. Would a longer cord make a difference? We thought about placing the antenna near a window but there's just not enough cord to place it there. Thanks for the help so far, this is so frustrating.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Yes, we have a indoor antenna. It's real cheap, just two poles and a wire connected to the converter box. Not sure about our neighbors, I'll try to ask tomorrow.

It's only a 5' cord. Would a longer cord make a difference? We thought about placing the antenna near a window but there's just not enough cord to place it there. Thanks for the help so far, this is so frustrating.
Indoor antenna, I expected as much. If you *must* keep your antenna inside, get it away from your electronics with a longer RG6 coax cable if needed. You could also try locating your antenna in a window facing the transmitters.

But in reality, the best way to get free OTA TV is to get the right antenna for your location, and put it outdoors as high as possible. For us to be able to help you choose an antenna and tell you where to point it, you really need to complete the reception report here: TV Fool - then copy the link in bold from the reoprt generated and paste the link here for us.

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
Most of the channels in the Minneapolis area are on UHF, except channels 9 & 11, which are VHF. If you want to go somewhere locally, stop by Ness Electronics in Saint Paul or MicroCenter in Saint Louis Park. They have an antenna for $9.99. Make sure you use RG-6. not RG-59. Conenct it to the TV and point it at the Shoreview towers. Micro Center - Supersonic HDTV and Digital TV Indoor Antenna 927517 Ness Electronics Online Store http://www.solidsignal.com/cview.as...antennas-supplies&c=TV Antennas - Indoor Only

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member

If it is just two poles (rabbitears) that explains a lot of your problem. Like Jim said most DTV stations are UHF, and you need an antenna with UHF elements to receive them. UHF antennas are generally loops, bowties, or the small christmas tree antennas like the one Jim recommended. I've never used one like that, so can't say how well one works.

Yes, we have a indoor antenna. It's real cheap, just two poles and a wire connected to the converter box.
No loop(s)? Without a loop, or SOMEthing more than two poles, you just have a VHF antenna. That's not going to get much nowadays. Most stations are UHF.

It's only a 5' cord. Would a longer cord make a difference? We thought about placing the antenna near a window but there's just not enough cord to place it there.
That might help. You want to get line of sight to the stations you need. A better antenna would probably help too. A good indoor antenna, like the Micron XG, might even be enough. Hard to tell with what you've told us thus far. That's why I want you to talk to your neighbors. Just a warning, though, if their house is constructed very differently from yours, it might not translate.

Thanks for the help so far, this is so frustrating.
You can do this! Think how much the cable company wants to rip you! There's a better'n 90% chance you can get set up for under $250 (under $100 for an indoor antenna) and go for years and years on that. But a couple little poles ain't gonna make it.

Rick

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
Can also try those antennas of flat panel multi directional and see the results also can be used in outdoors and would be good as solution always point the antenna to the tower.

maybe can work also could put the antenna closer to the window too.

Best regards
Francisco

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk 2