Mitsubish 40" LCD LT-40133 Owner's Thread

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Please use this thread for the discussion of the Mitsubishi LT-40133 40" HDTV LCD.

Product summary
Mitsubishi LT-40133
Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Electronics America Inc.
Part Number: LT-40133

Technical Details
Aspect ratio: 16:9 (widescreen)
Power consumption: 250 W (operating), less than 18 W (standby), less than 3 W (low standby)
Dimensions: 37.0 x 23.9 x 5.6 inches (W x H x D)
Dimensions with base: 37.0 x 26.0 x 12.6 inches (W x H x D)
Weight: 68.7 pounds
Optical system
Display type: 1080p LCD

Tuning
Combined tuner (analog/digital/cable) in the clear: 1
Antenna (RF) inputs: 2
AV inputs (analog with stereo audio)
Side component video input: 1
Rear A/V inputs with S-Video: 2
Rear component video inputs (480i/480P/720P/1080i): 2
Side USB input (5 mega pixel photo): 1

Digital inputs / outputs
Rear HDMI 1.3 inputs: 3
480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i (60 Hz): Yes
1080p (24 Hz, 30 Hz, 60 Hz): Yes
Digital audio output (Dolby Digital / PCM): 1 (coaxial)

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
My overall opinion of the LT-40133 is mixed. While it offers brilliant 1080i picture quality, I have yet to dial in its 1080p performance with my Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player. As it stands right now, I've watched the movie "300" in Blu-Ray format, which was slightly fuzzy, almost to the point of being described as pixelated picture quality. It's especially noticable in dark scenes or when black colors are displayed. I'll be experimenting over the next few weeks with different HDMI cords and calibration settings to imrove PQ.

Comments about the ATSC tuner
Watching OTA TV with the LT-40133's ATSC tuner is a pain. Expect a 2-3 second wait time when changing / tuning in channels. The program guide (EPG) will only display a channel's current and future programming ONLY if you tune to that specific channel. Pressing the "Guide" button and skipping around to other stations without tuning to them will not display programming information UNTIL you have tuned to each of the channels you want to view.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I haven't had the opportunity to see this TV, but I'm a little surprised. Historically, I've had very good luck with the Mitsubishi brand. I have a 50" one right now that I am hoping to replace with another big screen at some point.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
My overall opinion of the LT-40133 is mixed. While it offers brilliant 1080i picture quality, I have yet to dial in its 1080p performance with my Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player. As it stands right now, I've watch three Blu-ray movies (300, He's Just Not That Into You, and Cars), and all of them have been slightly fuzzy, almost to the point of being described as pixelated picture quality. It's especially noticable in dark scenes or when black colors are displayed. I'll be experimenting over the next few weeks with different HDMI cords and calibration settings to imrove PQ.

Comments about the ATSC tuner
Watching OTA TV with the LT-40133's ATSC tuner is a pain. Expect a 2-3 second wait time when changing / tuning in channels. The program guide (EPG) will only display a channel's current and future programming ONLY if you tune to that specific channel. Pressing the "Guide" button and skipping around to other stations without tuning to them will not display programming information UNTIL you have tuned to each of the channels you want to view.
I'm quite sure you thought of this, but just in case. You did step the Mitsubishi input to HDMI and not component, right? The component only passes 1080i.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I'm quite sure you thought of this, but just in case. You did step the Mitsubishi input to HDMI and not component, right? The component only passes 1080i.
I should have clarified that in my post, but, yes, I'm using the HDMI cable that came with the Samsung BD-P1500. ;)

Viewing the extras on "300", I think the output was at 1080i (don't quote me on that) which produced a very sharp picture...no fuzzies or pixelation. Switching back to the movie itself, produced the same problem again with lower PQ. Definitely a strange phenomena.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a new one. The TV turns off by itself at random times. We do have small dogs that step on the remote from time to time, but I've seen the random shutoff happen 2 times now while the remote was sitting on the table. Could be a few things...

1. Neighbor has a Mitsubishi TV/remote?
2. TV is getting too hot in the cabinet?
3. Faulty part on the TV itself

The neighbors living room is approximately 20' away from the TV and separated by my stucco wall, a cmu wall, and their stucco wall, so it's most likely not #1. The TV does sit in a cabinet, but the rear is ventilated, and there's approximately 2' of separation from the top of the cabinet from the top of the TV, so #2 is doubtful too.

hmm...