Mobile DTV comes to New York via Ion Network's 19.4-megabit-per-second DTV pipe

O-O

DTVUSA Member
ION Media Networks is now streaming it's mobile DTV program broadcast in New York.

:grin:

ION, whose chairman and CEO Brandon Burgess has spearheaded much of broadcasters’ effort to create a mobile DTV standard, calls the multiplex its Digital Broadcast “Triple Play,” though the mobile DTV streams can only be received for now by technology vendors and other industry insiders with prototype mobile DTV receivers. The programs being transmitted in ION’s 19.4-megabit-per-second DTV pipe include flagship network, ION Television, in high-definition; two additional standard-def networks, Qubo and ION Life; plus mobile DTV content.
ION Broadcasts Mobile DTV in N.Y., D.C. - 2009-06-29 19:20:56 EDT | Broadcasting & Cable

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Just want to clarify, "19.4-megabit-per-second DTV pipe" delivers all of Ion's programming right? Not just for the Mobile DTV broadcast? What is the amount of bandwidth that Mobile DTV can or does stream at?

Piggie

Super Moderator
Just want to clarify, "19.4-megabit-per-second DTV pipe" delivers all of Ion's programming right? Not just for the Mobile DTV broadcast? What is the amount of bandwidth that Mobile DTV can or does stream at?
Every station has 19.4 mbps, it's in the ATSC standard. They have nothing unique in total bandwidth, though most reporters love to exagerate technology they don't understand. Hence why Gabbie-Talk-a-Lot in my movie says she works in news and doesn't have to understand.

So yes, they must rob something in the total allocated 19.4 stream to add DTV. Now if they had null packets before changing no OTA is harmed. But if they didn't have any null packets (bandwidth not used) then they robbed bandwidth from one of their OTA channels to make room for Mobile TV.

Can't get something for nothing in bandwidth world, well unless you are a news reporter and don't understand anything you report.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Nobody. I can see evidence of it on TSReader, but I'm told there are very, very few receivers that can actually decode it.

SI Parsing by TSReader 2.8.46b

The Mobile DTV is 0x1ff9 at the bottom of the page.

- Trip
So the way I read TSReader is they have one program source on Mobile TV?
And it's 3.66 mbps. Doesn't that come out to 4 streams?

So can you tell from TSReader if they are sending one programming source using 4 streams for error, or can TSReader tell us what they are doing with the 4 streams?

Hope that makes sense.

In other words if they had 4 different programs subchannels running mobile would they still appear as one PID usage in TSReader or 4?

Thomas G

Contributor
Every station has 19.4 mbps, it's in the ATSC standard. They have nothing unique in total bandwidth, though most reporters love to exagerate technology they don't understand. Hence why Gabbie-Talk-a-Lot in my movie says she works in news and doesn't have to understand.

So yes, they must rob something in the total allocated 19.4 stream to add DTV. Now if they had null packets before changing no OTA is harmed. But if they didn't have any null packets (bandwidth not used) then they robbed bandwidth from one of their OTA channels to make room for Mobile TV.

Can't get something for nothing in bandwidth world, well unless you are a news reporter and don't understand anything you report.
Pig, what about a station like my local PBS broadcasting 1HD channel and 3 SD subchannels? I'd imagine they're all tapped out on bandwidth, and won't be able to add a Mobile DTV stream?

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
So the way I read TSReader is they have one program source on Mobile TV?
And it's 3.66 mbps. Doesn't that come out to 4 streams?

So can you tell from TSReader if they are sending one programming source using 4 streams for error, or can TSReader tell us what they are doing with the 4 streams?

Hope that makes sense.

In other words if they had 4 different programs subchannels running mobile would they still appear as one PID usage in TSReader or 4?
It only shows as one PID. TSReader does not yet support the ability to decode the MPH stream, and the author told me that he looked at the MPH spec and it would take 6 months for him to figure out and implement. He's not planning to start on it at this time.

You just have to divide it out. Dividing 3.66 by .917 reveals 4 groups. There's no way to tell how many video feeds are in that space right now.

- Trip

Piggie

Super Moderator
It only shows as one PID. TSReader does not yet support the ability to decode the MPH stream, and the author told me that he looked at the MPH spec and it would take 6 months for him to figure out and implement. He's not planning to start on it at this time.

You just have to divide it out. Dividing 3.66 by .917 reveals 4 groups. There's no way to tell how many video feeds are in that space right now.

- Trip
That is what I figured based on the fact I also came up with 4 streams. Then you said most are using 3 streams. So it threw in the doubt that TSReader was not decoding any deeper than the PID.

Thanks! Great I know someone that has knowledge on that end of DTV world. That way I can bounce my assumptions of a good wall! :playball:

* Twisted versions of thank yous are not those of this forum but those of this author.