Mobile DTV in Omaha!

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Hey Trip, what do I need to do to check out my local stations bit rates and stuff? Besides check your site....I mean do it myself here. I can provide you with updated info, if I do it, as well.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
You need a USB or PCI computer tuner that is running 32-bit Windows, and some free analysis software. If you have the former, I can direct you to the latter. Technically, you can check bitrates in Linux as well, but unfortunately it won't provide the complete output I need for the website.

And yes, I'd be quite pleased to have a permanent contact in the Charleston area. The last data I received was from someone who went down from the DC area for a wedding and got me data while he was there.

- Trip

Last edited:

Trip

Staff member
Right now, I'm telling people to either go for the cheap tuners I got for my loaner program or to wait. There's no really good USB receivers out right now because all the latest and best chips were diverted into converter boxes.

If you must buy, it varies with your reception conditions. I find the DViCO Fusion 5 (with the LG 5th generation chip) to be superior with weak signals, while newer tuners like the Fusion 7 do poorer with weak signals but handle multipath better.

Newer chips do better with both. I really hope something comes out with the latest LG chip at some point. I bought my DViCO for $160 when it came out, and I would spend that much again to get a similar tuner with the latest LG chip.

- Trip

Trip

Staff member
Trip, are you going to be doing any of the testing yourself or is the data coming from another source?
I don't have a Mobile DTV receiver yet. I was given the option of buying a USB one, but without any stations currently running it in my area, I could not justify the $100+ cost of the device. Maybe in a few months when WDBJ adds it, I will consider it again.

I think the post you were responding to was misleading, I meant a standard ATSC (non M/H) tuner is going to Omaha. I can find out how much bandwidth the Mobile DTV's sucking down, but that's about it.

- Trip

Last edited:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I can find out how much bandwidth the Mobile DTV's sucking down, but that's about it.

- Trip
It'll still be pretty interesting to see if mobile dtv signals vary from different areas. It's supposed to be a set amount of bandwidth for each station right? Or can they actually allow for more?

Trip

Staff member
The bitrates on the Mobile DTV stuff are static, but are in multiples of 0.917 Mbps. The spec allows up to 8 of those groups.

RabbitEars.Info

The "NoG" column is how many of those groups a station has. So a station with 4 NoG is using 4 times 0.917 Mbps of bandwidth.

- Trip

Gray Television announced first successful mobile DTV signal at WOWT-TV

The mobile dtv signal was actually transmitted on July 24, 2009 but Gray announced today that it was successful.

Jim Ocon, Gray vice president of technology, is working with WOWT and the Open Mobile Video Coalition on a pilot test.

“It’s like having a television in your pocket. Imagine the possibilities during a storm,” he said. “From an emergency alert perspective, I think it's going to be a must. I think this technology is going to save lives.”
TVB | Gray Conducts Successful Mobile DTV Tests

Piggie

Super Moderator
I can say from those in Florida, now recent veterans of tropical weather, we did have solutions that fit in our pockets.

Our attitude here is rapidly becoming, get with it, even though we have to go spend $100 or more to get back what we lost. Where is the coupon for that?

I can say from those in Florida, now recent veterans of tropical weather, we did have solutions that fit in our pockets.

Our attitude here is rapidly becoming, get with it, even though we have to go spend $100 or more to get back what we lost. Where is the coupon for that?
Think we'll get sub $100 handhelds? I'd say a good price point for me to buy would be around $50, but who knows how long that could take.

Piggie

Super Moderator
If you wanted a 5 to 9 inch you could find them for $50. About 5 years ago after the hurricanes I bought a 13 inch color for $60.

But the pocket solutions NTSC were all about $100. Those were great, had long battery life, etc. ATSC portable are not even close yet, particularly on battery life.

M/H would be good, but really for emergencies I could live with only receiving standing still.

But due to battery restraints as it's hard to get out and fire up the generator in 50 to 80 mph gusts, is FM radio. I found they did a great job in 2004 / 2005 seasons.