Mobile DTV is a massive failure

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Here we are 2-3 years after the launch of mobile DTV and it's looking like this whole movement was a epic failure. I bet you if you polled most Americans, they wouldn't even know what mobile DTV is.

The writing was on the wall from the get go, so why would broadcasters invest so much into this??

Streaming TV brings so much more to the table, albeit at a cost of bandwidth but with technology improving every year, spectrum won't be a problem.

Just another nail in the ota broadcaster coffin.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
"Dyle" has just started being advertised in the Denver market. You can't expect people to know about what isn't advertised. Until the "Clear TV" ads started to pop up on the subchannels there wasn't any real concerted effort by anyone to sell OTA TV at all. I too doubt that moblie DTV will take off... Broadcasters just took too long to roll it out!

How can you declare a virtually brand new service a failure?

At least wait until after there is a holiday selling season before declaring it so. Then go ahead....

Until and unless the service is readily available on devices customers already have in their pocket (a smartphone) it will probably be a curiosity, at best, until it inevitably fails. Customers are NOT going to be interested in a dongle device hanging off their iPad or iPhone or whatever. Plus, when subscription fees likely kick in (2014?), there will be little interest.

Qualcom couldn't find customers to buy their FloTV devices or pay for service, so it failed quickly.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member

At least wait until after there is a holiday selling season before declaring it so. Then go ahead....

Until and unless the service is readily available on devices customers already have in their pocket (a smartphone) it will probably be a curiosity, at best, until it inevitably fails. Customers are NOT going to be interested in a dongle device hanging off their iPad or iPhone or whatever. Plus, when subscription fees likely kick in (2014?), there will be little interest.

Qualcom couldn't find customers to buy their FloTV devices or pay for service, so it failed quickly.
IF it were widely promoted, and
IF it were available on devices "out of the box", and
IF it were available in most markets, and
IF more stations supported it, and
IF it was free,
It could be both successful and awesome.

(Dyle will die quickly, mark my words)

Just another nail in the ota broadcaster coffin.
Don't know how you can draw THAT conclusion! Mobile DTV is just a goofy idea. TV doesn't LOOK as good on a tiny smartphone, and who needs to watch TV while driving or carrying out other business? Next thing you know, they'll have to expand the laws against texting while driving to include MDTV.

I do think OTA will die eventually, but it's going to take 50 years minimum. It might go faster, but the government can't conceivable cooperate with big media to benefit the consumer. It may well take a HUNDRED years. MDTV will take off the minute it becomes a free app on your iPhone, or included in the standard package for a dollar a month.

Rick

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
I wrote a similar thread earlier about how mobile DTV would be beneficial to thousands of people who live on their boats next to a pier or in houseboats all along the US shores and in our Lakes. Include the 'proverbial' weekend fishermen who would also be able to watch television while their boats rock to the waves.

Although dozens of TV transmitters across the Nation spent the (big) money to make this awesome technology available and it is on air right now ... to my knowledge there are no Mobile-DTV receivers available for sale. What a waste.

Jim

Last edited:

O-O

DTVUSA Member

Actually there's already been a holiday season since it has become available. I'm labeling it a massive failure due to the amount of money and investment that was wasted by broadcasters.

It takes more than advertising these days to have a successful product. The business model behind mobile DTV died before it even got off the ground.

MrPogi

Staff member
Actually there's already been a holiday season since it has become available. I'm labeling it a massive failure due to the amount of money and investment that was wasted by broadcasters.

It takes more than advertising these days to have a successful product. The business model behind mobile DTV died before it even got off the ground.
Hardware is the major part of the problem. If every DC powered portable TV under, say, 15 inches had MDTV built in, it would be useful to RV'ers, boaters, and travelers. If it were built in to tablets and phones, it would be a hit because it avoids internet data caps. If it were integrated into TV tuners from the beginning, it could have been at least a moderate success.

And nobody wants to buy a separate device JUST for MDTV, or to have a dongle hanging off their tablet or phone.

n2rj

Staff member
Don't know how you can draw THAT conclusion! Mobile DTV is just a goofy idea. TV doesn't LOOK as good on a tiny smartphone, and who needs to watch TV while driving or carrying out other business? Next thing you know, they'll have to expand the laws against texting while driving to include MDTV.
Until you have kids you will never appreciate back seat TV. I do.

I have a Tracvision in the minivan and it's one of the best things I did. Nothing keeps the kids quiet like flipping on sprout or one of the other kids channels. No need to mess with the same DVDs over and over either.

And on a road trip when we stop to eat or take a break from driving we can watch TV.

What is killing mobile DTV is the vast array of streaming already available on smartphones, plus the absolute lack of marketing by the broadcast industry. Why should I watch a few OTA channels when I can watch cable channels that I get on TV with the DirecTV app?

n2rj

Staff member
Hardware is the major part of the problem. If every DC powered portable TV under, say, 15 inches had MDTV built in, it would be useful to RV'ers, boaters, and travelers. If it were built in to tablets and phones, it would be a hit because it avoids internet data caps. If it were integrated into TV tuners from the beginning, it could have been at least a moderate success.

And nobody wants to buy a separate device JUST for MDTV, or to have a dongle hanging off their tablet or phone.
Offer it as an option with minivans and SUVs for the rear seat entertainment system. Include it on some high end packages. It will sell.

MrPogi

Staff member
Offer it as an option with minivans and SUVs for the rear seat entertainment system. Include it on some high end packages. It will sell.
Couldn't agree more. It's all I can do to keep the family entertained on long trips...

The TracVision system looks awesome, but I'm not made of money. What is it, about 3 grand without the install, plus monthly DirecTV bills?? If you could add MDTV to an existing mobile entertainment system at a reasonable price, it would be awesome, too.

Last edited:
I have a Tracvision in the minivan and it's one of the best things I did. Nothing keeps the kids quiet like flipping on sprout or one of the other kids channels.
You must be rich. All the time I was growing up I took maybe half a dozen trips in my parent's car lasting over 10 minutes. Buy a Tracvision for that? You can't even watch a full show!

Road trips? School field trips -- only way I can relate.

Rick

n2rj

Staff member
You must be rich. All the time I was growing up I took maybe half a dozen trips in my parent's car lasting over 10 minutes. Buy a Tracvision for that? You can't even watch a full show!

Road trips? School field trips -- only way I can relate.

Rick[/QUOTE

I live in the sticks. Even a trip to the grocery store is 20 minutes.

n2rj

Staff member
Couldn't agree more. It's all I can do to keep the family entertained on long trips...

The TracVision system looks awesome, but I'm not made of money. What is it, about 3 grand without the install, plus monthly DirecTV bills?? If you could add MDTV to an existing mobile entertainment system at a reasonable price, it would be awesome, too.
Yeah it's expensive.