Mobile DTV reception problems

MeImmortal1

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hi guys, I just joined your forum and hope to get some help. Where to begin. I had an analog tuner in my truck, it got about 3 or 4 local stations in nice. I was happy. Well the country went digital. I was prepared, had my 12v ATSC tuner installed. I tried just one antenna, I had an adapter to use my old analog diversity antenna. It got almost nothing, like one or two channels maybe when at a complete stop. Then I used a splitter for my coaxial and added a little sticky short rubber antenna (amplified). The signal strength shot up to like, 50ish. I've never seen it go above 55%. The tuner found 20 digital channels... but some pixel out, I have to be at a complete stop to watch anything, once I start moving, I lose everything. My signal strength while parked is at around 50-55%, and my quality goes up to 75%. If I added an inline 20-25dB gain signal booster, do you think that might help? I've also seen a powered ROADPRO RP-703 that I was wondering if I should put between the unpowered diversity antennas. I'm really just grasping at straws here and at a loss, I just want to solve this problem and get my TV back, I miss the news on my way to work.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I'm really just grasping at straws here and at a loss, I just want to solve this problem and get my TV back, I miss the news on my way to work.
This really sux for people with mobile TVs. Think you hit the nail on the head with this one MeImmortal, but Cowboy is kind of the expert here on reception. I've searched Google for misc. mobile dtv antenna setups and there's hardly any information and or reviews.

MeImmortal1

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Haha... yeah, tell me about it. It would be great if I just got the stations in motion that I get while parked. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that if I can somehow get the signal strength up to where my quality is (around 65-70%) then I'd be able to enjoy a few stations... I mean come on, I'd expect the RV'rs out there won't be happy either if they lose their in-motion free tv... I'm just wondering if it is as easy as an inline signal amp. I've seen a few around, just hoping to get a little guidance...

"Car Tech Tuesday: Mobile Digital Television Could Hit the Road by 2010" Edmunds Daily - News and advice for car shoppers and owners

But others are not as confident. Alpine's Steve Witt told TWICE that, "Moving vehicles go in and out of 'good' signal areas" and even the differences in vehicle designs "have an impact on TV reception." Witt said DTV performance so far "is not acceptable to our customers" and Alpine's tests have shown it to be only slightly better than analog.

In that same article

Another advantage of the DTV is it requires an antenna "about the size of a finger," as opposed to the large antennas required for aftermarket satellite TV, and broadcasters can add repeaters to boost the signal.
What I want to know is, where the heck can I get a DTV antenna the size of a finger that can receive digital signals?!?!

MeImmortal1

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Yeah, it truly does suck. I just drove home. I turned it on and signal and quality were both around 70%. When I started driving, quality bounced from 0-40% but signal strength stayed up there, it bounced around 35-65%. A pixelated mess I tell ya! It just isn't fair :(

MeImmortal1

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Yes. That's exactly what I'm experiencing. I'm hoping some techies who know their stuff will figure out a fix...and fast... I know I'm not the only guy going nuts out here :confused:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Found a link at an audioforum DTV in Car Anybody have any luck

the problem with DTV in a vehicle is that is doesn't work well while the receiver is moving. That's why most manufacturers haven't some out with a DTV tuner. You'll get clean clear reception for about a mile, then it will fade out for amile or two, then back in, etc. it wasn't designed to be used while moving. There is a phase shift in the signal if the receiver is moving.

mcc313

DTVUSA Rookie
im having the same problem. i have been watching the news on the way to work since 2002! now i have to get there early so i can park to watch before work! i get 87% while sitting still, when i move it goes down to 0% wtf!!! ive tried a bunch of antennas only to have to take them back. the power amplified antennas are expensive and are no different than standard rabbit ears as far as my signal strength. i hope they solve this soon.

i think there must be something to do with the delay in converting the signal from analog to digital so when you move it confuses the converter box. just a theory. but if i can have satelite radio why cant i have regular tv?

Wow this is scary. ok the fact that you are moving is the problem and a fix for that is not there tv antennas a were not made for things that move but for homes, tv signals are set the same for stationary objects. the digital signals are not like vhf analog digital is like a rifle analog like a shotgun big difference. hope you guys don't drive through NC. could cost you for having tv on while driving, here it must be away from the drivers view during operation. a lot of sates are now passing these laws along with cell phone laws as well.