Question: Mobile DTV Subscription Fees

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
Has anybody read anything lately about subscription fees for Mobile DTV? As slow as ATSC-M/H has been to take off, I think any sort of fees might scare off the few of us that are interested in it.

Coincidentally, I did order an RCA Mobile TV Tablet DDA850R for Christmas for my wife. Granted, it is a bit expensive compared to other RCA tablets, BUT to the best of my knowledge, it is the only device available currently that will do BOTH regular ATSC and ATSC-M/H. Even though my wife already has an iPad Mini from last year and a Dyle device, it only gets the mobile channels. Having the ability to get regular ATSC will make this much more versatile for her. I can easily see her using both tablets simultaneously. She could have her soap opera on the RCA DDA850R, but when it cuts to a commercial advertisement, she would go back to her iPad Mini and/or her Samsung Galaxy SIII.

I do really like that there are things you can do with a tablets without having to be connected to an expensive data plan. For entertainment, videos and MP3s can be stored. For navigation, the GPS can use maps stored on the device. Having Over The Air TV is just one more choice.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
If I wanted truly mobile DTV, I would go for a laptop or netbook with a USB tuner like a Hauppauge WinTV-Aero-m USB Mobile TV Tuner or theVisionTek 900255. But these USB tuners are getting very hard to find.

And no, I'm not paying for free TV!

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
If I wanted truly mobile DTV, I would go for a laptop or netbook with a USB tuner like a Hauppauge WinTV-Aero-m USB Mobile TV Tuner or the VisionTek 900255. But these USB tuners are getting very hard to find.....And no, I'm not paying for free TV!
I tried the Hauppauge WinTV-Aero-m USB Mobile TV Tuner in the past. Here in the Minneapolis-Saint Paul MN market we have a few ATSC-M/H channels, but it only worked with a couple of the channels. The mobile channels from KMSP and KARE would not decode, so that is what soured me on that. I think that the broadcasters aligned with Dyle require a Dyle receiver to decode them.

I never did try the VisionTek 900255, however. I suspect that it would be the same. I do like the idea of BOTH regular ATSC AND ATSC-M/H in one device.

As far as paying for free TV, I certainly agree with you. I wasn't happy when DISH coerced me into local channels on their satellite line up. I have the OTA module and didn't need to get local channels via the satellite. I keep threatening to cut DISH completely, get a Simple TV for DVR, and add NetFlix, since we already have Hulu Plus. My wife still likes to record a soap opera daily and tells me that Dallas is coming out soon and might only be available on some certain satellite channel!

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
My wife still likes to record a soap opera daily and tells me that Dallas is coming out soon and might only be available on some certain satellite channel!
I believe that Dallas will be on TNT. You can watch TNT online - but only IF you already pay for it via cable and have a username and password. If you don't have pay TV, perhaps you have a friend who has pay TV and a password, if you get my drift...

I've found that patience is a great virtue in cord cutting. Seriously, you could wait until it becomes available online. Eventually, almost everything becomes available legally on Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu. And there's PlayOn, which allows you to watch online content on a Roku or other device.

As for the DVR, you can use one of 2 under $50 PVRs - the HomeWorx Or iView. Or if you can get Aereo in your local market, thats also an option.