Mobile Home people not eligible for some reason

To start off, i had to pay the full price for two converter boxes for the two TVs in my Fleetwood mobile home. which wasn't cheap since i don't earn a ton, which was as i hoped the whole point of this program in the first place, how ironic eh?

First off, i do live in a household as defined by Federal Law. i don't have a PO Box, my address is listed as an apartment address (Lot Numbers for each mobile home one address, just like apartment numbers) and my mail does come to my door (although i don't receive all that much and the USPS is slower than i should be in the county)

When i tried to apply i was told i was denied for living in a business or group living facility, and just as most webbots you cannot argue over the internet. appeal didn't work. it declared a Internal Server Error 500 trying the first time now it won't even allow me to redo it.

I do NOT live in a business. i think they're getting incorrect info from the USPS since the same thing happened trying to change my address online from the USPS.com website when i moved here from my previous address.

Tried to phone the coupon program, of course no human answers and trying the universal code ( 9, star, pound, 0 to force a person) gives invalid entry, and it's entirely fully automated (how ironic, i guess they saw that one coming eh?)

So the very people they're trying to help seemed to miss out on the coupons. now they're outta money so i had to shell out money for boxes' full price. just for living in a mobile home. kinda stupid, but i wanted to point out that not everyone living in even a federal law's definition of household is eligible. kinda hard to believe the government can deny the law of the, well, government huh?

Last edited:

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear that! Have you tried to contact the NTIA at https://www.dtv2009.gov/ContactUs.aspx ? We get so many emails and posts where people either cannot get approved for a coupon or never receive their's in the mail... anywa, thanks for your post, we receive anywhere from 5 to 50 visits a week from government staff of some sort, so I'm sure they're listening.

Also, we're still waiting for Congress to mandate some changes for the coupon program, so you may not be completely out of luck yet.

That was the same site i used to pull up the phone # (email was tried, got got an automated reply instead of real reponse) and it's automated. no human at all.

Since i had assumed that the transition was Feb 17, 2009 (didn't see the delay comin') and boxes were flying off the shelves with no restocks i wanted to get there in time, so i had already paid full price, and if i understand the program correctly, no refunds or rebates after the fact. i didn't want to miss it so i jumped the shark and paid full price. sucks though, i wish i could've reached a person to explain the situation, i'm sure the USPS assumes the trailer park a business since the address is like an apartment complex and the landlord lives here, but i don't think that counts me out since by federal law i do still live in a 'household' as defined by the law.

As stated it has to be the USPS's end since i ran into the same problem when i moved, trying to set up mail forwarding to my new address was denied by the USPS itself because of it being a 'business' even though it's rented property, and i wonder how many apartments have this same issue with the coupon program, seeing as they to share the address with multiple apartment numbers (BTW i used the lot number both in my address and when i was denied i tried the lot number as an apartment number in the apt # field, same prob)

Byte24

DTVUSA Member
That was the same site i used to pull up the phone # (email was tried, got got an automated reply instead of real reponse) and it's automated. no human at all.

Since i had assumed that the transition was Feb 17, 2009 (didn't see the delay comin') and boxes were flying off the shelves with no restocks i wanted to get there in time, so i had already paid full price, and if i understand the program correctly, no refunds or rebates after the fact. i didn't want to miss it so i jumped the shark and paid full price. sucks though, i wish i could've reached a person to explain the situation, i'm sure the USPS assumes the trailer park a business since the address is like an apartment complex and the landlord lives here, but i don't think that counts me out since by federal law i do still live in a 'household' as defined by the law.

As stated it has to be the USPS's end since i ran into the same problem when i moved, trying to set up mail forwarding to my new address was denied by the USPS itself because of it being a 'business' even though it's rented property, and i wonder how many apartments have this same issue with the coupon program, seeing as they to share the address with multiple apartment numbers (BTW i used the lot number both in my address and when i was denied i tried the lot number as an apartment number in the apt # field, same prob)
Isn't there a special option you can select now when applying for a coupon that allows them to specially check someone's address?

I'm not sure. i tried it in December and again in January, then i just paid full price, now that i already have what i need i don't see the point now. if i could've got a human over the phone i would reapply over that. doing anything online from this to bill pay leaves me with more headaches than i'd get banging my head on a wall. digital lifestyle is just not for me. i just like things to be simple.