mobile tv radio question

CarlaG

DTVUSA Jr. Member
After the digital transition, I'm no longer receiving a tv signal on my TV band Radio. I like to listen to my television station while on the treadmill. I can no longer get the local channels.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Fourm and sorry, but no those TV Band Radios are now useless.

You could buy a converter box if your radio has an antenna input jack and tune the radio to channel 3 audio.

Back when TV was analog, the sound was just an FM signal sent along with the picture. So it was possible to build a FM radio that instead of covering the FM band, covered the TV bands and would pick up the TV stations sound.

When DTV came into being that FM sound no longer exists on a station's signal. The TV stations are broadcasting sound now digital and not FM, hence your TV Sound Radio won't work anymore.

A lot of people that had a local Ch 6 TV used to listen to it on a regular FM radio by tuning it as low at it would go. Ch 6 had their audio at 87.75 MHz, and most FM radio's would go that low, as the bottom real FM channel was 87.9, and most radios would go one or two channels below the bottom of the FM band.

That is gone also with DTV.

========

All that said, there is a market for a new version of TV audio. The electronics or chips in the converter boxes are mass produced and also used in the new TVs. Someone will probably make a box with converter chips built in but only does the sound from TV not a picture.

I hope they make one of these as it would also be great emergency radio as well.

But haven't seen one on the market or anyone talking about making one.

Last edited:

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
Mobile TV Radio Question

I have an AutoTalk in my pick-up truck which will receive NTSC audio and a C Crane radio that will also receive NTSC audio. My work around for now around my hobby farm us to simply use an extra Zenith DTT901 converter box and run the audio to a legal, low power FM transmitter, which can then in turn be tuned into with a simple analog FM broadcast radio. In the pick-up about all I can do is tune in the locak IFB frequencies on my amateur radio for local news feeds.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I have an AutoTalk in my pick-up truck which will receive NTSC audio and a C Crane radio that will also receive NTSC audio. My work around for now around my hobby farm us to simply use an extra Zenith DTT901 converter box and run the audio to a legal, low power FM transmitter, which can then in turn be tuned into with a simple analog FM broadcast radio. In the pick-up about all I can do is tune in the locak IFB frequencies on my amateur radio for local news feeds.
Welcome to the forum Jim, and great idea with the fm transmitter.