Mobile TVs with Built-in ATSC tuners (Official Thread)

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Please use this thread for discussion of battery operated and or mobile digital television sets.

I know of three.

Axion AXN-8701 7-Inch Widescreen Portable Handheld TV with Built-In Tuner

Details: 7-Inch widescreen LCD portable handheld TV
Built-in NTSC/ATSC tuner for both analog and digital channels - so it WILL work after Feb 19, 2009
A built-in rechargeable battery (Li-Polymer) is included.
Built-in antenna allows for easy repositioning for better reception
A/V input for external audio/video sources
Includes AC adaptor, instruction manual, remote control, external antenna, car adaptor and A/V cables

Haier HLT71 7-Inch Portable LCD TV

Details: 7-inch portable LCD TV with ATSC/NTSC tuner, that WILL work after 2/19/2009
Selectable screen aspect ratio of 16:9 or 4:3
Rechargeable Li-polymer battery offers up to 2.5-hours of life between charges
Audio/video jack and coaxial output; detachable antenna
Multi language OSD- English, French and Spanish with detachable antenna
AC adaptor, car adaptor and remote control

Coby TFTV1022 10.2-Inch LCD TV

Details: 10.2" widescreen TFT LCD digital color TV/monitor with ATSC Tuner, dual ATSC/NTSC tuner for digital and standard TV broadcast reception, accepts DTV signals up to 1080i, black
The Coby TGTV1022 does not have the option to be powered by battery.
AV input jacks for use with media players, DVR/VCRs, video games, and more
15-pin VGA interface for use with computer system, full-range stereo speakers(6W), digital comb filter and noise reduction
V-chip parental control, closed caption, and electronic program guide support
multi-language on-screen display, wall-mountable design

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
These TVs will differ from the new technology coming out enabling cell phones to receive dtv signals. The ATSC tuners in these will not allow you to receive DTV signals while driving. If I were in the market for a truly mobile DTV, I'd wait until 2010.

TimWinNE

DTVUSA Rookie
It is nice to have a new updated handheld but what about the ones who can’t or just don’t want to convert to something new. Did anybody thank about this before making a decision. I have a nice handheld and I shouldn’t have to buy a upgrade but because of the digital transition, I'm going to have to now. Plus I need to figure out how the heck I'm going to connect a converter box to it. How about a reasonable solution.

This darn transition is basically producing a ton of garbage from all of the soon to be outdated handhelds. Doesn't that bother anyone????????????????????

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
It is nice to have a new updated handheld but what about the ones who can’t or just don’t want to convert to something new. Did anybody thank about this before making a decision. I have a nice handheld and I shouldn’t have to buy a upgrade but because of the digital transition, I'm going to have to now. Plus I need to figure out how the heck I'm going to connect a converter box to it. How about a reasonable solution.

This darn transition is basically producing a ton of garbage from all of the soon to be outdated handhelds. Doesn't that bother anyone????????????????????
It's an unfortunate circumstance of the Digital Transition. Most handheld TVs lack a capable A/V input to connect a converter box.

Even if you could "convert" your handheld, you probably wouldn't want to lug around a 3-5 pound converter box connected to your handheld (in which case both would need a constant supply of batteries).

What are you specifically looking to do with a handheld? As TonyT has pointed out, there are going to be a slew of mobile DTV devices coming out in the next year or so that are more capable than the units I posted above.

Lurker Lee

DTVUSA Member
Any chance someone will make a portable TV with a longer battery life? I moved into a new neighborhood last year, and discovered there are a fair number of power outages (problem from the large old trees, I suppose). Last yr I used my old analog battery op TV. Most of the new smaller TVs I've seen have built-in rechargeable batteries that are good for about 2.5 hr. From previous experience, these outages seems to last around 4 hr, so I'd prefer to find a TV with a longer life battery or one that takes replaceable batteries.

My old portable takes D batteries, so I can at least stock up on them. My alternative is to get a Winegard converter with a battery pack, but at this point I might as well put the money into a newer TV. I have cable, so only really need a converter for outages or outside ... or if I get mad at Comcast ;).

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
Any chance someone will make a portable TV with a longer battery life? I moved into a new neighborhood last year, and discovered there are a fair number of power outages (problem from the large old trees, I suppose). Last yr I used my old analog battery op TV. Most of the new smaller TVs I've seen have built-in rechargeable batteries that are good for about 2.5 hr. From previous experience, these outages seems to last around 4 hr, so I'd prefer to find a TV with a longer life battery or one that takes replaceable batteries.

My old portable takes D batteries, so I can at least stock up on them. My alternative is to get a Winegard converter with a battery pack, but at this point I might as well put the money into a newer TV. I have cable, so only really need a converter for outages or outside ... or if I get mad at Comcast ;).
I'm waiting, see http://www.dtvusaforum.com/everythi...y-atsc-handheld-tv-now-wait-new-standard.html

There aren't any mobile TVs on the market right now that use the new mobile standard yet but we should start to see some by early 2010. They're much more efficient than the ones posted above and most will be offered with a Lithium Ion battery (long lasting battery and easy to charge). Not sure if you're going to need one on your cell phone but they'll be making those too. I may just opt for the cell phone/TV, it'll be pretty handy when shopping with the wife. :confused:

Piggie

Super Moderator
I may just opt for the cell phone/TV, it'll be pretty handy when shopping with the wife. :confused:
I thought about that. On Alltel cells the TV option is pretty cheap. I would have to look it up, but in the $10 a month range.

I opted though just for internet on my cell. I read the news or check the weather when stuck somewhere. I get interrupted so much sitting somewhere I find it's easy to stop or go back to the internet, where you miss what happened on cell tv. But exactly, for right now, cell TV is the best choice.

From my understanding part of why we lost so many UHF channels, are the cell companies are counting on people buying more TV for the cell phones but better services on the old UHF channels. Maybe some one here knows more.

Lurker Lee

DTVUSA Member
I was wondering if anyone had any updates on this list?

My neighborhood had it's first summer power outage last night. It lasted about six hours. So I've decided to renew my search for a way to watch TV when there is no electricity. My two options are to buy a Winegard (if I can still find one) converter and battery pack to use with my old b&w battery op tv that takes the D batteries. Or find a new battery op digital tv. The problem is that all of the ones I've seen online have built-in rechargeable batteries that last for 2.5 hours. I'd much rather get one that takes removeable rechargeable batteries so that I can replace them during longer outages. I'm not interested in one that uses a cell phone, because I rarely use a cell so I have a prepaid plan and still end up with money left over.

I am guessing that I can't use the cable with my old battery tv because I suspect it's too old to be "cable ready". (And I didn't have the antenna adapter to try it out).

Anyone have any updates? Or suggestions? I suppose I could always get a battery op dvd player just to keep myself entertained, but even they seem to suffer from the same builtin battery problem. I'm sure that for most people that's a feature; it's just that I would like to have a longer battery life.

And related, does anyone have any input on Mypower ?

Bottom line is I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive way to watch tv when I'm sitting in the dark for several hours. I don't anticipate using the tv in a car etc so don't want to put a lot of $ into it.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Found another mobile TV at Amazon w/digital tuner that uses a lithium-ion battery.

Viore PLC7V95 7-Inch Portable LCD TV with Built-in Tuner

Key Features:
7-Inch widescreen active matrix TFT screen
Integrated ATSC digital tuner for digital broadcast reception
External rod antenna provided for over-the-air signal reception
Audio/Video inputs for connection to external Audio/Video source
Audio output for connection to external audio systems
Built-in stereo speakers
Earphone output for private listening
Large capacity rechargeable Li-battery
USB Port & Card Slot for playing digital media file
Closed Caption and Parental Control supported
Card style full function remote control

Specifications:
Audio/Video Input
Audio Output
Earphone Output
Antenna Input
Mini USB
3-in-1 Card Reader
12V DC Input for AC-DC Adapter
Input Voltage for AC – DC Adapter: 90 ~ 240V
Power Consumption: Less than 15W
Unit Dimensions (W x H x D): 8.7" x 5.1" x 1.2"
Unit Weight: 1.3 lbs

I was wondering if anyone had any updates on this list?

Bottom line is I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive way to watch tv when I'm sitting in the dark for several hours. I don't anticipate using the tv in a car etc so don't want to put a lot of $ into it.
I searched around; there doesn't seem to be a bunch of options available right now. Have you seen TonyT's thread here? http://www.dtvusaforum.com/everythi...y-atsc-handheld-tv-now-wait-new-standard.html I'm not sure how the cell phone industry is tackling the battery life issue when TV phones hit the market in full swing, but as of right now, all of the handheld ATSC TVs at Amazon.com (as you mentioned) are rechargeable, and last only 1.5-2.5 hours after a charge. Purchasing a second Li-ion battery might be an option for you, but not very cost effective.

Yes, I saw the other thread, but thought the "mobile" part meant for use in a moving vehicle or one that ran on a cell phone. I'm not planning on using a tv in either of those ways, so just sort of skimmed it. I was just kind of hoping that more tvs had been released. (And how come there don't seem to be any of the walkman style ones that ran on AA or was it AAA batteries. That would do for me in a power outage. Of course the old analog one I bought never worked particularly well, but I assumed that was because it was an "open box".) Thanks for the response.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I saw the other thread, but thought the "mobile" part meant for use in a moving vehicle or one that ran on a cell phone. I'm not planning on using a tv in either of those ways, so just sort of skimmed it. I was just kind of hoping that more tvs had been released. (And how come there don't seem to be any of the walkman style ones that ran on AA or was it AAA batteries. That would do for me in a power outage. Of course the old analog one I bought never worked particularly well, but I assumed that was because it was an "open box".) Thanks for the response.
Can't imagine why there aren't more on the market and with an AA / AAA option. It's not like an ATSC tuner requires more power to run than the older NTSC handhelds...I'm not 100% sure about that though. ;)

With the digital transition rendering millions of handhelds useless, mobile tv companies have a completely clean slate and HUGE potential customer base available right now.

Just a little note about battery performance and power consumption from the Wiki entry for Mobile TV Standards:

1. Power Consumption: Battery technology for mobile portable devices may be stuck in a race condition. Improved battery life can be used up by the upgraded mobile content and enhanced functions. However, dashtop mobile devices can also be powered by a 12-volt vehicle battery, however vehicle batteries are not a sustainable source of power for mobile devices.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Found another mobile TV at Amazon w/digital tuner that uses a lithium-ion battery.

Viore PLC7V95 7-Inch Portable LCD TV with Built-in Tuner

Key Features:
7-Inch widescreen active matrix TFT screen
Integrated ATSC digital tuner for digital broadcast reception
External rod antenna provided for over-the-air signal reception
Audio/Video inputs for connection to external Audio/Video source
Audio output for connection to external audio systems
Built-in stereo speakers
Earphone output for private listening
Large capacity rechargeable Li-battery
USB Port & Card Slot for playing digital media file
Closed Caption and Parental Control supported
Card style full function remote control

Specifications:
Audio/Video Input
Audio Output
Earphone Output
Antenna Input
Mini USB
3-in-1 Card Reader
12V DC Input for AC-DC Adapter
Input Voltage for AC – DC Adapter: 90 ~ 240V
Power Consumption: Less than 15W
Unit Dimensions (W x H x D): 8.7" x 5.1" x 1.2"
Unit Weight: 1.3 lbs

I searched around; there doesn't seem to be a bunch of options available right now. Have you seen TonyT's thread here? http://www.dtvusaforum.com/everythi...y-atsc-handheld-tv-now-wait-new-standard.html I'm not sure how the cell phone industry is tackling the battery life issue when TV phones hit the market in full swing, but as of right now, all of the handheld ATSC TVs at Amazon.com (as you mentioned) are rechargeable, and last only 1.5-2.5 hours after a charge. Purchasing a second Li-ion battery might be an option for you, but not very cost effective.
This looks like a nice start on the ATSC mobile TVs. I'm going to have to put this one on my list of things to try. My old Casio was a great little gadget.
Maybe when DTVUSA traffic gets back up where it belongs, this could be the next contest grand prize:first:

Be careful of some new tech products, including TVs. some have what are known as 'non-removable lithion-ion batteries' which is definite planned obselescence of a product, meaning that once the batteries are at their end of life (won't hold adequate charge to be useable) the tech product requires a new replacement.

The iPods, some portable brand new TVs/portable DVD players, and cameras have fallen victim to this practice which is becoming a new trend. don't buy into it and it will stop. people drive the progress of tech and don't let non-removable batteries catch on!

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Be careful of some new tech products, including TVs. some have what are known as 'non-removable lithion-ion batteries' which is definite planned obselescence of a product, meaning that once the batteries are at their end of life (won't hold adequate charge to be useable) the tech product requires a new replacement.

The iPods, some portable brand new TVs/portable DVD players, and cameras have fallen victim to this practice which is becoming a new trend. don't buy into it and it will stop. people drive the progress of tech and don't let non-removable batteries catch on!
There is no such thing as non-removable when it comes to tech gadgets. It's not what you know it's who you know. :D But I agree, for the average consumer you need to consider these factors when purchasing electronic gadgets.

Currently i don't know anyone who can replace an iPod Touch battery without rendering the gadget a bent up metal mess. and battery replacement places here won't touch them fearing legal allegations from Apple. so when the battery dies, that's it. :(

The average consumer throws things out for things like that even if it were doable. we've become far too happy with throwing things out when they still work, and making gadgets like that further exasperate the problem.

Currently i don't know anyone who can replace an iPod Touch battery without rendering the gadget a bent up metal mess. and battery replacement places here won't touch them fearing legal allegations from Apple. so when the battery dies, that's it. :(

The average consumer throws things out for things like that even if it were doable. we've become far too happy with throwing things out when they still work, and making gadgets like that further exasperate the problem.
You can replace the batteries yourself - Lifehacker - How to replace your iPod's battery - Battery but like you said, it's not exactly easy.

I'm the biggest offender of selling electronic componenets on Ebay or trading them out online after a few years. Gotta have the latest and greatest. ;)

The one thing I read about the Axion AXN-8701 is that it only holds a charge for 100 minutes, and if you use the cigarette lighter that came with it and plug it in, it only provides power, it won't recharge the battery.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Tivax HiRez7 Portable 7-Inch Digital Widescreen LCD TV

Lee, found one that uses AA batteries.

7" Widescreen LCD Digital TV
Can use both antenna and cable
Includes two rechargeable Li-ion batteries up to 1.5-hour usage
Built in stereo speakers
Will work with alkaline batteres

Amazon.com: Tivax HiRez7 Portable 7-Inch Digital Widescreen LCD TV: Electronics

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Lee, found one that uses AA batteries.

7" Widescreen LCD Digital TV
Can use both antenna and cable
Includes two rechargeable Li-ion batteries up to 1.5-hour usage
Built in stereo speakers
Will work with alkaline batteres

Amazon.com: Tivax HiRez7 Portable 7-Inch Digital Widescreen LCD TV: Electronics
It looks like Tivax is thinking of everything with the release of this one. The release date is July 27, 2009. It says it can be used as an external monitor for DVDs. It won't be long before these are incorporated into automotive audio/video systems. One like this with an 11" drop down would be sweet in a Chevrolet Tahoe or Avalanche.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like Tivax is thinking of everything with the release of this one. The release date is July 27, 2009. It says it can be used as an external monitor for DVDs. It won't be long before these are incorporated into automotive audio/video systems. One like this with an 11" drop down would be sweet in a Chevrolet Tahoe or Avalanche.
Did you see the built-in card reader (SD/MS/MMC) too? Not a bad option for ATSC, but truthfully, I'd wait until ATSC-MPH devices come out. :coca_cola_can: