Mondovi, WI Antenna Issues

badams

DTVUSA Rookie
Hey all,

First time I've been here, just moved to a new city and having a heck of a time getting any channels. Never had a problem using another more than a shark fin type thing. Old homeowner had a satellite dish which I took down and mounted this on Amazon.com: RCA ANT800R Flat Digital Outdoor Antenna: Electronics I assume there is not an issue just using the coax from the dish, because that is what I am doing...

Came with one of those "booster" things as well. Only able to get NBC (channel 13.1/13.2).

I don't know much, but I do know that there is a lot of cable. Comes off the roof, into the basement, across the basement (75'), then up into the living room. Currently we are not splitting it at all, but would like to eventually. If I stand on the roof holding it in the air I can get FOX and ABC spastically and not at the same time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TV Fool

dkreichen1968

Staff member
First thing is that you are going to need considerably better antennas than what you have. Also, you have signals coming from different directions which make this difficult. You have a local NBC (WEAU) coming from the East (on a UHF channel), CBS coming from the southeast (on a VHF channel), and ABC, FOX, PBS and another NBC coming from northerly directions (on UHF channels). One solution would be a medium sized combo antenna on a rotor. My perfered solution would be a 4 bay antenna like an Antennas Direct DB4 or a Channel Master CM-4221 pointed north-northeast and an Antennacraft Y5713 or Antennas Direct C5 pointed toward the southeast connected together using a UVSJ (UHF VHF Band Separator/Combiner) (the C5 comes with a UVSJ). You may or may not be able to get the local NBC with that set up, but you should be able to get the big 4 plus PBS and any subchannels.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
I agree with Dan's response that you will probably need a rotated antenna or a pair of antennas. However, all of your stations are far enough away from you that multipath interference is probably not that much of a concern for you - and it makes a BIG difference in your antenna options compared to those of us who live much closer to megawatt transmitters.

* (My radical idea for you) -- A northish-pointed, 8 or (especially a 16 Bay) Hoverman Antenna without a reflector might capture everything from the NNW to the NNE, the SSW and the SSE. If 38 from the east side doesn't come in, bend one or two elements (if two, they need to be oppositely phased elements) toward the east to capture it.

Remember, antenna height is usually king until you find a clean signal three feet below or six inches below where you expected to find it. Kinda spooky, huh? That's the bizarre world of OTA reception.

Jim

badams

DTVUSA Rookie

badams

DTVUSA Rookie
One more thing, is there a tool/software I can use for measuring signal strength? My TV does not show it, so I end up doing channel search of channel search without knowing what is working and what isn't... Thanks!

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Thanks for the help. I have little to no experience with this, so I just want to confirm before I make some purchases.

One trial setup would be Amazon.com: Antennas Direct DB4 Multi-Directional HDTV Antenna: Electronics pointed N/NE
with Antennacraft Y5713 60 Cut-to-Band HDTV Antenna : HDTV Antennas | RadioShack.com pointed SE

Then I can connect them using the "UVSJ".

I just wanted to make sure I have the right products before I try it. Thanks for the help,
Or a Amazon.com: Antennas Direct DB4E Antenna: Electronics since it looks like it's cheaper and the newer design. But yes, that would be a good set up to try. As far as signal meters are concerned the best signal meter for pointing antennas I've found is on the RCA DTA800B1 converter box, which may cost less than getting a tuner for your computer, especially if you get the converter used (there are still new ones out there). You want to get the B1 model if possible since it allows you to save channels when you rescan it.