Monster cable

Monster Cable has been around for a long time but I've never considered buying their speaker wires because they are so expensive. Does anyone here use them and how do they compare to regular speaker wires?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I always thought that Monster Cable was over priced. Paying $50-$75 for a Surge Suppressor instead of $10-$15 for a like one that does the same job just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Same with their cables. I mean how much better picture do they actually claim that you're going to have with gold plated HDMI or component cables anyway?? I guess if you have a high end system, it makes sense but not for someone like me with a sub $5K Home Theater setup.

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
I've got a couple of monster cable component cords, no complaints and they've outlasted a cheap s-video cord that had the connectors bend on me not too long ago.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I've done some pretty nice HT setups and never had a complaint using inexpensive wiring. Monster Cable is high quality, but my hearing doesn't compare to the accuracy of an oscilloscope. Save your money.

Thomas G

Contributor
I've done some pretty nice HT setups and never had a complaint using inexpensive wiring. Monster Cable is high quality, but my hearing doesn't compare to the accuracy of an oscilloscope. Save your money.
:thumb: Completely agree. I do use Monster Cable surge protectors. Guess I get a sense of safety with them and my HT equipment.

I feel the same way. How much can you improve on a twisted strand of wire? I've used inexpensive wires all of my life and am pretty satisfied.

Boo-Ray

DTVUSA Member
I feel the same way. How much can you improve on a twisted strand of wire? I've used inexpensive wires all of my life and am pretty satisfied.
You'd be surprised. Just like some of the crappy digital-to-analog converter boxes that people are complaining about, there will always be lower standard of production values in some countries for electronics. Do you really want to take a chance of shorting or causing some type of damage to a $500-$10,000 amp, receiver, or television set because of sub par wiring? Not I.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
You'd be surprised. Just like some of the crappy digital-to-analog converter boxes that people are complaining about, there will always be lower standard of production values in some countries for electronics. Do you really want to take a chance of shorting or causing some type of damage to a $500-$10,000 amp, receiver, or television set because of sub par wiring? Not I.
I'm not sure which Countries you're referring to. Monster cables are manufactured in Shang Hai - China. I think the production of cable has pretty much been perfected in most, if not all Country's. It's very easy to test cables for frequency response and after 20+ years I've never had a problem with cables from any of my suppliers. I'm sure defects do slip past QC occasionally but I personally don't remember ever finding a cable to be defective and I've used 1000s of feet. The high price of Monster Products allows CEO Noel Lee to drive exotic cars like his custom Bentley.YouTube - Bentley customized by West Coast Customs for Noel Lee the Head Monster from Monster cable

The high price of Monster Products allows CEO Noel Lee to drive exotic cars like his custom Bentley.YouTube - Bentley customized by West Coast Customs for Noel Lee the Head Monster from Monster cable
You see some of the replies on there??? :pop2:

What a slimeball! Overcharging for crap products and sueing every innocent company that uses the word monster in thier name.
Sorry...all the money is the world can't improve the fact that your overpriced Bentley is both played out and ugly as f---. You're also a ----ing d-------g wannabe hard ---.
hay guise, sue da cookie monster next... lol
stop suing people you rich b-stard.
lol wow. When HDMI cables started taking off, Monster charged an arm and a leg for them! Think the pricing was around $50 for one set or so.....

WSJ article on Monster vs. every company with the name Monster - The Scariest Monster of All Sues for Trademark Infringement - WSJ.com

Over the years, it has gone after purveyors of monster-branded auto transmissions, slot machines, glue, carpet-cleaning machines and an energy drink, as well as a woman who sells "Junk Food Monster" kids' T-shirts that promote good eating habits. It sued Monster.com over the job-hunting Web site's name and Walt Disney Co. over products tied to the film "Monsters Inc." It opposed the Boston Red Sox trademark applications for seats and hot dogs named for the Green Monster, the legendary left-field wall in Fenway Park. All in all, Monster Cable says it has fought about 190 monster battles at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and filed around 30 monster lawsuits in federal courts.

Boo-Ray

DTVUSA Member
I'm not sure which Countries you're referring to. Monster cables are manufactured in Shang Hai - China. I think the production of cable has pretty much been perfected in most, if not all Country's. It's very easy to test cables for frequency response and after 20+ years I've never had a problem with cables from any of my suppliers. I'm sure defects do slip past QC occasionally but I personally don't remember ever finding a cable to be defective and I've used 1000s of feet. The high price of Monster Products allows CEO Noel Lee to drive exotic cars like his custom Bentley.YouTube - Bentley customized by West Coast Customs for Noel Lee the Head Monster from Monster cable
I know I'm the new guy here...but for starters...have you seen some of the real world tests on the net? Gizmodo - The Truth About Monster Cable - Grand Finale (Part III) - Cables I know they charge a bunch, but it's all in the name of shielding/improvements/technology that goes into making these cords (or should I say, end connections). If you buy MC in bulk, you can get some pretty good discounts. As for the lawsuits, every major corporation protects their name...It's capitalism and the American way. :usa2:

Funny I see this topic because I've always wondered why this companies audio/video equipment/cables have been so expensive compared to other brands.

I know someone who bought one of their HDMI cables @ best buy (priced around $130), and a cheaper cable (at radioshack I think, for x10 less), and they both worked just the same.

I know one thing, I'll never spend 100+ for a damn piece cable.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I know I'm the new guy here...but for starters...have you seen some of the real world tests on the net? Gizmodo - The Truth About Monster Cable - Grand Finale (Part III) - Cables I know they charge a bunch, but it's all in the name of shielding/improvements/technology that goes into making these cords (or should I say, end connections). If you buy MC in bulk, you can get some pretty good discounts. As for the lawsuits, every major corporation protects their name...It's capitalism and the American way. :usa2:
At the date of that article (2007), Monster's 35' HDMI cable was $250.

$250 buys:

One of these

or One of these (and a nice dinner):

and the list goes on. One Gizmodo article isn't going to make me change my mind on the cost difference of 5x on a set of HDMI cables.

TonyT

DTVUSA Member

and the list goes on. One Gizmodo article isn't going to make me change my mind on the cost difference of 5x on a set of HDMI cables.
That's $7/foot for the Monster cable! At that cost, you could buy 2 or 3 standard HDMI cables and keep the extras as spares and still have money left over...

Boo-Ray

DTVUSA Member

$250 buys:

One of these

or One of these (and a nice dinner):

Completely irrelevant Jay, apples to oranges comparison. You don't have to like Monster Cable, but you can't completely discount their product because it's expensive.

Aaron, yes they sued the golf company but you failed to mention that they dropped the lawsuit and paid for $200K in attorney's fees for the goofy golf company.

kotosof

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Don't know to you guys but when we've tried it, we realized it was over priced and isn't really that different from the stock cable. Just an opinion anyway since that's our experience.

Have you recognized that most cable manufacturer are located in Shanghai?

And only a few of the cable you can buy look really poorly produced.
I bought a bunch of cables by ebay Australia (directly from the manufacturers).

They have cable that look exactly like the "Monster" ones and my husband says they are. They only do not use the name "Monster" on it.

It is like store brands , where a well know manufacturer is producing the product but not showing the (their own brand) name.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Have you recognized that most cable manufacturer are located in Shanghai?

And only a few of the cable you can buy look really poorly produced.
I bought a bunch of cables by ebay Australia (directly from the manufacturers).

They have cable that look exactly like the "Monster" ones and my husband says they are. They only do not use the name "Monster" on it.

It is like store brands , where a well know manufacturer is producing the product but not showing the (their own brand) name.
and I think that's the main point too. most of us are not willing to pay for something that you're not noticeably going to see (or hear) a difference with. There are just not enough real world performance tests that can separate Monster from the rest.