More channel? better quality? Still waiting...

I have a large roof mounted antenna on the second floor roof (outside) with rotator for adjusting the position. The coax cable from the antenna goes right into the living room, no splitter but I think there's a small inline passive amp mounted at the antenna end. Not going outside to check that though, there's about 18 inches of snow on the roof and it's a long climb to reach the antenna.

With the analog signal I used to be able to pick up some 20 channels (Detroit, Flint, Saginaw area channel # 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 12, 19, 20, 23, 25, 28, 36, 49, 50, 56, 62, and 66)) and on good days I could pick up 36 from Toledo, 3 from Lansing, and 49 from Battle Creek.

With the converter box (Magnavox brand from Walmart) installed and using the same roof mounted antenna, I can only pick up 4 channels: 5-1,2, 12-1, 2, 3, 25-1 (only? thought 25-2 exists but I cant get it), and sometimes 66-1 but only on clear day. Those comes in weak and often breaking up like a badly scratched DVD. I can't pick up anything from Detroit even if I adjusted the antenna to south. My child is sad she would no longer get channel 20 as it is her favorite station :(

More than a week ago during a series of storms in Michigan I couldn't pick up any DTV signal at all but still got analog signals. Had the analog station gone off air earlier, I would have not heard about school closing and sent my child to freeze to death waiting for bus that would never arrive. :eek:

Please don't suggest having radio, I am deaf and no radio supports closed caption feature. Wish the government would pressure to have at least a text based radio even if only for local emergency and school issues.

I had someone, a certified tech, come and check my setup and antenna. He said it is all connected correctly and my antenna is more than good enough. He said I may live too far in the "thumbs" region of Michigan to pull any clean signal. I forgot to ask him about signal booster.

I did a bit of research and it seems typical DTV signal will hurt people like me who lives far in the "fringe" of civilization of USA. I checked the sticky for the coverage map and I am just outside the area of Flint, Saginaw, and Bay City stations (north-east Tuscola Co.) and way too far from any of Detroit or Alpena area stations. I don't know why analog signal were picked up from that far but not digital signal :confused: Maybe it's because the converter box is more picky about quality and rejects very weak signal?

I have looked at antenna signal booster at local places but none of them mentions supporting DTV or ATSC signal, the generally only support VHF, UHF, and FM band. Some posts I've searched here didn't help me other than avoid certain brand like Radio Shack, and I don't know where to get Titan 7777

I would have dumped the antenna but the satellite provider won't cover because I live "too close" to existing cable coverage. Yet I can't get cable, because cable ended about 1/4 miles from my house and comcast cable wants too much just to extend that.

So where is "more channels" government kept promising? :( And why should they claim digital is better than analog when a slight interference can cause digital signal to break up for several seconds (screwing closed caption for seconds as well) while analog only gets momentary interruptions.

Any advices will be appreciated. Would Titan 7777 help me? And where to get it? And lastly, why would bad weather affect DTV signal but not analog signal in my area?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I have looked at antenna signal booster at local places but none of them mentions supporting DTV or ATSC signal, the generally only support VHF, UHF, and FM band.
DTV is broadcasted on VHF and UHF spectrum frequencies. So a antenna signal booster or amplifier will work on your antenna.

I would have dumped the antenna but the satellite provider won't cover because I live "too close" to existing cable coverage. Yet I can't get cable, because cable ended about 1/4 miles from my house and comcast cable wants too much just to extend that.
And they said the upgrade to digital shouldn't affect our ability to watch television... :rolleyes: Sounds like you're in a real jam!