Most Successful

JamAce

DTVUSA Member
Out of all the contestants on American Idol, who do you think is the most successful among them? David Cook? Chris Daughtry? Jordin Sparks? Ruben Studdard?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Clay Aiken! Just kidding, there are a few of those guys who have really disappeared from the spotlight. I guess Jordin would be my vote.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
Sales and hits wise, it goes to Kelly Clarkson hands down. She's already had a multi platinum album back in 04' and tons and tons of top 40 singles. I think Daughtry and Carrie Underwood are coming in 2nd but then again, Kelly has been around a bit longer.

JamAce

DTVUSA Member
I guess you are right there leighdu, considering the timeframe on the day they got to American Idol. Hmm, I think my bet would have to be David Cook. :p

Sales and hits wise, it goes to Kelly Clarkson hands down.
I agree 150%, besides, the only person I've ever heard on the radio more than once or twice is Kelly Clarkson.

i think it depends on how commercial/corporate david cook gets. if he gets too "pop" sounding, i think he will struggle a little bit.

Aren't they all pop-ish and comercial sounding? The show is such a sellout, but I love it! I can't even tell you why. LOL

calvindale

DTVUSA Member
Renaldo Lapuz, lol
I love this guy & at the same time pity him.All he wanted to do was show how much he idolizes Simon.Sad they were making a laughing stock out of him.

JamAce

DTVUSA Member
Renaldu Lapuz I think just made a fool of himself, but I do admire his bravery. :rolleyes:

And about Idols what are pop-like, I agree because when Bo Bice released his debut album, it sounded like britney spears, guy/gay version. :mad:

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
Yeah, I think no matter what their genre or sound was, the contestants pretty much sell their souls when they win and sign a contract. The record company is going to shape and mold them into what they want them to be, and that is the top 40 commercial sound. I don't mind it too much with Kelly Clarkson because that was her genre to begin with, but for some reason it will be really odd seeing David Cook that way.

Yeah, I think no matter what their genre or sound was, the contestants pretty much sell their souls when they win and sign a contract. The record company is going to shape and mold them into what they want them to be, and that is the top 40 commercial sound. I don't mind it too much with Kelly Clarkson because that was her genre to begin with, but for some reason it will be really odd seeing David Cook that way.
That's also how the old studio system used to work in Hollywood; in the Golden Age (1930s-1950s), a studio literally owned its stars, who were contractually bound to make X number of movies and always in roles more or less selected by the studio heads and producers. Sometimes an actor or actress would be pigeon-holed or typecast into certain "personas" that they were expected to play in movies. That's why you never see Mae West as anything other than a baudy, bosomy, almost "cougary" woman in her movies, which were more often than not comedies.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
That's also how the old studio system used to work in Hollywood; in the Golden Age (1930s-1950s), a studio literally owned its stars, who were contractually bound to make X number of movies and always in roles more or less selected by the studio heads and producers. Sometimes an actor or actress would be pigeon-holed or typecast into certain "personas" that they were expected to play in movies. That's why you never see Mae West as anything other than a baudy, bosomy, almost "cougary" woman in her movies, which were more often than not comedies.
This could also be a good thing for these contestants though. Even though they are in a contract and have to go by what the producers say, there will come a time when they are out of that contract and at that point they can go on to make their own music and put it out there a heck of a lot easier than they ever could had they not won AI.

laparks

DTVUSA Jr. Member
IMO Carrie Underwood and Chris Daughtry have had the most success. I didn't watch the first few seasons so never really got into the Kelly thing, although I do like a few of her songs. Carrie is all over country radio and seems to always make out pretty well at the award shows.

Didn't I hear that Daughtry's album is the debut album with the most top #10s or #1s or something like that?

I'm actually surprised by how many contestants you can now hear on country radio. Bucky Covington, Phil Stacey (I saw him in a video on GAC the other day) Kellie Pickler (who I can't stand btw). Ok, so I can't think of any others right now.

And I gotta ask, what ever happened to Taylor Hicks?

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
IMO Carrie Underwood and Chris Daughtry have had the most success. I didn't watch the first few seasons so never really got into the Kelly thing, although I do like a few of her songs. Carrie is all over country radio and seems to always make out pretty well at the award shows.

Didn't I hear that Daughtry's album is the debut album with the most top #10s or #1s or something like that?

I'm actually surprised by how many contestants you can now hear on country radio. Bucky Covington, Phil Stacey (I saw him in a video on GAC the other day) Kellie Pickler (who I can't stand btw). Ok, so I can't think of any others right now.

And I gotta ask, what ever happened to Taylor Hicks?
Just like with Justin Guarini, Hicks got dropped from his record label too since he has had the lowest selling Idol album. Now I hear he is on an Indie label and doing work on Broadway.

Yeah it's true that Carrie Underwood and Chris Daughtry are very successful, but stats wise Kelly Clarkson is still the front runner, or at least she was last time I checked. But it could very well be that these two have now caught up with her. I know Underwood went 6x platinum with her album "Some Hearts"; that's no easy feat :). But as of early this year (and this could have changed):

"
According to figures from Nielson Sound Scan, season 1 winner, Kelly Clarkson, has sold the most albums of all the idols, with 9.4 million sold. Her songs have also gotten about 8.9 million downloads.

Season four winner Carrie Underwood comes in second, while Clay Aiken trails her with third place. While Aiken enjoys high album sales, he's apparently not a big hit on the internet, with only 400,000 music downloads.

With only one album so far, Piedmont favorite, Chris Daughtry, has sold more than 3 million copies, and had 4 million internet downloads."

You can read the whole thing here:

MyFox WGHP | Best Selling American Idols

sanju123

DTVUSA Member
I find David Cook the best out of all the past winners. This boy outshone through out. Almost all of his performances were worth watching. He is doing well at present also.

Kara

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have to agree with frank, Carrie Underwood has been phenominal. Everything she has touched since she has won seems to have turned to gold for her.