Most Valuable

JoeM

DTVUSA Member
Media Software? I would have to say that Windows Media Play right now because I use it for so many things. I know that there are probably better media players out there (I just started experimenting with VLC media player) so that could easily change.

Well this might be a surprize but I guess I would have to say that it is my good ole alarm clock. Sure it only plays am/fm and is about 25 years old but without it I would never get to work on time and I would have no idea what the weather would be like that morning. Ditto my car radio

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I just downloaded VLC because I thought I might be able to get some streamed stuff and I have just begun to use it more than WMP or Winamp or DivX. I like what it offers in terms of playing folders.

cirereyes

DTVUSA Jr. Member
For me it would be the Windows media player classic. Because it is capable of playing any video format, you just have to install the necessary codec’s and that’s it.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
As far as a DVD movie media player on my dinosaur computer, I prefer Power DVD over Real Player and Windows Media Player because it seems to require much less horsepower to run smoothly. As far as audio capturing I tried Audacity, but I think it has a clumsy interface. I recently purchased Roxio to transfer cassette tapes and vinyl records to CD, but I haven't tried it yet.

Jim

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I never did figure out how to record from my VCR to my computer. This new computer apparently doesn't have the TV card or whatever, but my old computer did. I just never figured it out. It would be cool to do my albums to CD, but I don't have any materials to do that.

By the way, now that I've used VLC for a while, I find I go to it first over WMP. I like it a lot.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Audio: Audacity. It's great for modifying sound files - a bit more than most people need, but it gives you room to grow. I also find AudioGrabber - a little know piece of freeware is the greatest ripper EVER. It even allows you to copy CD+G (karaoke) discs to MP3 + G files, to play with winamp using the CDG plugin. And I play music on Winamp. I just like the way it works., but I do prefer an older version to the new ones, much less CPU - intensive.
Video: SUPER. It's a front end for a couple command line programs and it can convert ANYTHING into another format. DVD fab (not freeware... ) for backing up a DVD. And I like Power DVD, simple, easy to use, low resource user.