Moving. Should I pack up my dish and receivers?

JasonM

DTVUSA Rookie
I'm moving to an apartment in a month and just finished my subscription contract with Dish two months ago. So I don't have a lot of money right now considering I lost my house, boohoo right? :huh: Anyway, I'm moving about 30 miles to Southern LA, and I wanted to know if I can just take my Dish Network Dish and receivers and connect them at my new apartment? Remember, I'm looking for the cheapest way to do this without renewing another subscription.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I'm moving to an apartment in a month and just finished my subscription contract with Dish two months ago. So I don't have a lot of money right now considering I lost my house, boohoo right? :huh: Anyway, I'm moving about 30 miles to Southern LA, and I wanted to know if I can just take my Dish Network Dish and receivers and connect them at my new apartment? Remember, I'm looking for the cheapest way to do this without renewing another subscription.
JasonM, Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. Sorry to here about the loss of your house. That would suck! If you have completed your contract with Dish Network, it's my understanding you own the equipment. You would be liable to the mortgage holder for any damage caused by the removal of the equipment. If you were to remove the dish from the roof and the water leaked in and caused damage to the property, you could be held responsible. So taking the equipment in that situation would end up costing you more than it was worth. If you can safely remove the equipment without causing damage to the house, I would take it with you.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
First off, :welcome: I too am sorry to hear about your troubles.

The following information comes directly from the Dish Network web site..

DISH MOVER
MAKE MOVING AS EASY AS 1-2-3...FOR FREE!

Welcome to the Neighborhood!

HERE'S HOW IT WORKS
Leave your old dish antenna behind and pack your receivers and remote control to take with you to your new home.

Call 1-888-884-2741 before you move and tell us your new address.

We'll deliver and professionally install a state-of-the-art dish antenna in your new home for FREE!
(Restrictions Apply)

BRAND NEW HOME, BRAND NEW RECEIVER!
Trade in your older model receiver to a new state-of-the-art receiver! Simply request a receiver upgrade when you schedule your DishMOVER!

Customers can qualify to receive a free DishMOVER when they sign an 24-month commitment to qualified basic programming. Without the 24-month agreement to qualified basic programming, customer must pay MSRP of $99.95. Additional charges may apply in the following instances: for International programming customers; markets requiring a second dish antenna; installations that require additional equipment. Additional charges will apply for customers with more than 6 tuners. Customers who subscribe to the DishHOME Protection Plan are eligible for one free DishMOVER per rolling 12-month period with no commitment to qualified basic programming. Customers who have referred a new customer under ClubDISH receive one free DishMOVER with no commitment to qualified basic programming; there is a limit of one for the lifetime of the account after a ClubDISH referral. Standard Professional Installation only; schedule may vary. Limited to existing residential DISH Network subscribers who reside in the continental U.S. Existing residential DISH Network subscribers who reside in Hawaii or Alaska should contact their participating authorized DISH Network Retailer for similar offer(s). Limited-time offer. Equipment upgrade offer only available on a leased receiver through the Dish'n It Up promotion. Requires minimum qualified programming and 24 month commitment. Certain restrictions and eligibility apply. We reserve the right to change prices, packages and programming at any time, including without limitation during any term commitment period to which you have agreed. DISH Network shall determine eligibility in its sole discretion and reserves the right to deny eligibility for any reason.

© Copyright 2009, Echostar Satellite L.L.C. All rights reserved
So the bottom line is if you don't want to commit to Dish for another 2 years, pay them the $100 for the service. You may have also seen something up there like a recent referral that may entitle you to the service for free with no committment.

Also, read on..

JasonM, Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. Sorry to here about the loss of your house. That would suck! If you have completed your contract with Dish Network, it's my understanding you own the equipment. You would be liable to the mortgage holder for any damage caused by the removal of the equipment. If you were to remove the dish from the roof and the water leaked in and caused damage to the property, you could be held responsible. So taking the equipment in that situation would end up costing you more than it was worth. If you can safely remove the equipment without causing damage to the house, I would take it with you.
Not exactly. Most likely JasonM just finnished what used to be a 18 month commitment (now 24 months) and if this was his original commitment he most likely has a leased receiver. Dish has not given out receivers for you to own in quite a few years. Even if he paid something for it. How old and what model receiver can help me answer the question on ownership. If it was a ViP series receiver that Dish gave him for free or a DVR that he may have paid say $100 or so to start, he does NOT own the receiver and WILL be charged for it if he deceided to dispose of it as he sees fit. The original contract will spell this out.

The Dish Mover deal is probably the way to go in this case. Leave the old antenna right where it is. Pay the $100 fee and there is no commitment. Again, he may be entitled to a free move with no committment.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Yes616, I was hoping you would happen across this thread. You have the know the inner works of the Dish Network program better than most of us.

You obviously have access to the OP contract information, where I don't. I didn't realize he was at the end of the 18 month commitment. I was going on the assumption his commitment was completed. I see his main objective is to avoid another long term commitment.

JasonM, Yes616 has good knowledge of the ins and outs of Dish Network. I'll let you resolve your questions with him through this thread. Good Luck!
First off, :welcome: I too am sorry to hear about your troubles.

The following information comes directly from the Dish Network web site..

So the bottom line is if you don't want to commit to Dish for another 2 years, pay them the $100 for the service. You may have also seen something up there like a recent referral that may entitle you to the service for free with no committment.

Also, read on..

Not exactly. Most likely JasonM just finnished what used to be a 18 month commitment (now 24 months) and if this was his original commitment he most likely has a leased receiver. Dish has not given out receivers for you to own in quite a few years. Even if he paid something for it. How old and what model receiver can help me answer the question on ownership. If it was a ViP series receiver that Dish gave him for free or a DVR that he may have paid say $100 or so to start, he does NOT own the receiver and WILL be charged for it if he deceided to dispose of it as he sees fit. The original contract will spell this out.

The Dish Mover deal is probably the way to go in this case. Leave the old antenna right where it is. Pay the $100 fee and there is no commitment. Again, he may be entitled to a free move with no committment.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
You know JasonM, I think I have a better idea for you if the previous messages don't work for you.

Look back to my copy and paste from the web site. Notice if you have the Digital Home Protection Plan (DHPP), you are entitled to 1 free move per year with no committment. Call Dish at (800) 333-DISH (3474) and sign up for this service. Next you hang up.

The next day or whenever you are ready, call about the Dish Mover deal that you are now entitled to for free with no committments. Make your move to the new place. After you are all moved in with your Dish service, call to cancel the DHPP.

Unlike cell phone providers that don't let you do something like this, Dish will. Try it and post back as to how it worked for you.

ONE MORE VERY IMPORTANT THING.. I hope you have a good facing view to the south and south west at your new place or forget about Dish. Your antenna will NOT see the satellites!

Yes616

The Mod Squad
Yes616, I was hoping you would happen across this thread. You have the know the inner works of the Dish Network program better than most of us.

You obviously have access to the OP contract information, where I don't. I didn't realize he was at the end of the 18 month commitment. I was going on the assumption his commitment was completed. I see his main objective is to avoid another long term commitment.

JasonM, Yes616 has good knowledge of the ins and outs of Dish Network. I'll let you resolve your questions with him through this thread. Good Luck!
Well I am not sure yet if Jason's obligation is actually completed. He did state it was in post # 1. That was very close to the transition from 18 to 24 months which happened on 2/1/08. Just over 19 months ago. It's hard to tell. Only he can be sure. His original contract will state this as well.

Again to JasonM, tell me what receiver model you have and did you get it from Dish directly?

Koolit

DTVUSA Rookie
Firstly, make sure you are free of any obligation with Dishnet.
I am in SoCal (SD North County) and most apartments in the surrounding prohibits outdoor ant or Sat Dish installation. Prolly because all units are cable ready. If this is the case, then you can probably get away installing the Sat Dish through the glass window provided you have a clear view of the sky to shoot the Bird.

However, this is just my opinion, the choice is yours!

Yes616

The Mod Squad
Firstly, make sure you are free of any obligation with Dishnet.
I am in SoCal (SD North County) and most apartments in the surrounding prohibits outdoor ant or Sat Dish installation. Prolly because all units are cable ready. If this is the case, then you can probably get away installing the Sat Dish through the glass window provided you have a clear view of the sky to shoot the Bird.

However, this is just my opinion, the choice is yours!
Yep, good point. Another option is to mount the antenna on a terrace if one is available. A view to the "South Side of the Sky" (remember that Yes tune?) is a must.

antkmom

DTVUSA Member
Hey, sorry to hear about your troubles.

Dish Network makes moving very easy. As you can see from the post that has the info right from Dish Network.
When we moved it was so easy. Leave the dish at your old house, call and they will install a new dish. This way it is in the proper location for reception.

G

God

Receiver

What happens if you leave your receiver at your old apartment do to emergency can u get ah new at your new home

G

What happens if you leave your receiver at your old apartment do to emergency can u get ah new at your new home
If you leave the old receiver and it disappears, you will be billed by Dish for $300-400 for the receiver. You must either take it with you or return it to Dish, it is theirs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Comcast 0
T Comcast 0
B Comcast 0