MS-2000 adding a reflector for more channels?

photokarma

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hello all!

I know this may sound crazy.. (Im new to digital antennas, so please be kind) can you add a reflector to an omnidirectional antenna boost reception?

I have a Wineguard MS-2002 mounted in my attic (30+ feet above ground) with 50 foot RG6 running to the amplifier then another 6 ft rg6 out to the tv. I live in Easton, PA area code 18042 and get 39 channels. I do not get ABC or CW. I am looking to boost my channels without mounting it to the roof. Is it possible?

TIA!

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Not a practical solution... We can help you out, but you're going to have to go to TV Fool . enter your address and antenna height, and post the link to your results (IN BOLD AT THE TOP OF YOUR RESULTS PAGE) back here. I suspect your "omni" antenna will have to be replaced to get all the channels you want.

MrPogi

Staff member
This may require a bit of playing around, but here goes -
You have signal from 3 directions, 180, 230, and 317 degrees. You also have some VHF channels. You can probably live without the VHF-lo (2-6) channels. I'm going to suggest a Xtreme Signal 8-Bay VHF/UHF HDTV Antenna (Silver/Black) (HDB8X) which is an 8 bay antenna that allows aiming in 2 directions, and also does get some VHF-hi. I would point one panel to 180 degrees (south) and the other one - first try 230 degrees and see what you get. If it doesn't get you the channels you are looking for, try the transmitters at 317. Still not good? Try pointing one to 230 and the other to 317 degrees. These antennas are more powerful when BOTH panels are aimed in the same direction, so you could also try aiming BOTH panels the same direction, pointing first to 180, then 230, and then to 317 degrees. So that's a lot different ways to aim it, but I'm sure you will find one of these combinations will get you all you need. Don't use an amp, if you need one we can suggest one LATER.

Should you still have problems you can come back and we can try some other things.

MrPogi

Staff member
If you have a good size attic. You may have to assemble the 2 halves in the attic, depending on the size of your attic entrance..

But we ALWAYS recommend outdoor mounting if possible for the best reception. If you are concerned with HOA restrictions, the FCC has rules about that. Let us know if that's a concern and we can advise you.

photokarma

DTVUSA Jr. Member
My attic is a fairly good size and open. My concern is that I rent. If I owned the house, a permanent installation wouldn't be a concern. I appreciate your help and will definitely research the antenna you suggested! Another quick question. In my research of the omni I have now, I see that some people suggest tilting it for better signal, is that true?

MrPogi

Staff member
If you rent, then you can only install on the roof with the owner's permission. So the attic it is. Try to locate it away from wiring and metal, making sure that the signal is not obstructed by metal ductwork in any of the directions you are going to point towards.