mtv - what happened?

bighoss

DTVUSA Member
i remember along time ago.....this channel actually used to play music videos. now it is almost all reality tv shows. where o where did the music videos go?:confused:

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
Mtv sucks now, plain and simple. And producers don't too much care because all this garbage has high ratings with all the kids that buy into it. And the sad thing is all the shows have to be about cash, sex, cheating, or they won't get any air play.

djs

DTVUSA Member
MTV is basically a trashy magazine that is on TV. They really have lost their musical tradition which was what made them popular. I guess the producers are only reacting to what the viewers want to see.

illytodd

DTVUSA Member
I grew up on watching MTV and there wasn't a day that went by that I didn't at least watch a minute of it. I don't know what happened, it seemed after the popularity of The Real World, it became infested with reality shows.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
Yep, they saw how money they cash in on with the reality shows, especially after The Real World started. I will admit I used to watch the earlier ones, but then they just got so annoying and boring. Now I never turn the channel to Mtv for anything really.

Fardreamer

DTVUSA Member
Yep, they saw how money they cash in on with the reality shows, especially after The Real World started. I will admit I used to watch the earlier ones, but then they just got so annoying and boring. Now I never turn the channel to Mtv for anything really.

And the worst thing is that reality shows, dollar for dollar, are relatively cheap to make because they start with either non-celebrities that nevertheless look great on camera (Lauren from Laguna Beach/The Hills) or has-beens who need the exposure (Brigitte Nielsen, Flavor Flav) to boost their sagging careers, or they don't require too much in the way of sets, costumes, and special effects. They thus have a high profit margin because there is little overhead and tons of advertising revenue.

Music videos seem to be pretty expensive because I think that the more elaborate ones are like mini-movies and they require residual rights, clearances, and a bunch of other things that reality shows don't require.

Just imagine if U.S. broadcasting standards were as lax as in Europe; we'd see worse dribble on reality shows, and if you think the sexual content (which is tame now) is bad on The Real World now, imagine a less censored version....Ugh.

good points Fardreamer, i never thought about how cheap it is to make a reality show compared to an actual production music video.
Networks are addicted to these shows because they are so cheap to make. I don't watch them, so I don't know why viewers are so fond of them. To me, the ones such as The Moment of Truth are TV's equivalent of rubbernecking at a car accident scene: you know you're going to see people suffering, but you still look anyway.

I can't stand MTV anymore...the only show that is decent that I watch if I catch it is Made...that's not a bad show...but it's all reality shows now. I use to love TRL. That was the best show.

Mtv sucks now, plain and simple. And producers don't too much care because all this garbage has high ratings with all the kids that buy into it. And the sad thing is all the shows have to be about cash, sex, cheating, or they won't get any air play.
Yeah. It would have been better if they just made it a plain music tv don't you think?

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
Yeah. It would have been better if they just made it a plain music tv don't you think?
Exactly..I mean that's how it started out and got big in the first place. It's just turned so so plastic lately. They cater to teens and preteens only, as if adults don't listen to music!

Yes but isn't it the artist or recording lable making the videos? I find it hard to believe theres no market. There has to be tons of bands that would be happy to recieve less for the air play. Good thing for you tube

With i-phones and Xbox360s around nowadays, it's far better, financially and labor-wise, to sell them directly to the end users. It beats hunting around to find advertisers who will pay to air the music videos.

Sure you're paying through the nose per song ($5-$8 a download) but you can watch it whenever you want.

There's a music video channel in one of the Latino lineups, Texty Beat! on LATV. It has two sponsor groups: advertisers and viewers. What makes Texty Beat interesting is that viewers can send a text SMS for 99 cents a message, which will air in a scroller on a future episode.

I'll tolerate anything that's not this song, anyhow: Aqua - Barbie Girl

Last edited:
Aqua- Barbie Girl for my opinion is not a thing I would call "music". It is plastic pure.

But nowadays it would perfectly fit to the MTV which is now on screen.

I am sorry, I would like to have that old MTV back.