Question: Multiple tv antenna options

brettt07

DTVUSA Rookie
I am in the process of building a dental office. I have coaxial cable run to all the different rooms (6 total) for cable tv, but may elect not to pay for cable right away. My thought was to at least get the basic channels and possibly Roku too. I have new Samsung LED tvs for each room. What would be my best option? Would it be to connect the tv's to the coaxial outlet to pick up a better signal, buy separate indoor antennas for each room (which could be placed above the drop ceiling), or get an outdoor antenna which would be spliced to all rooms? I ran my tv analysis at tvfool.com.
TV Fool
Thanks
Brett

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
This should be fairly straightforward. All your major channels are UHF. The only "fly in the ointment" is that Fox and CW are coming from a different location than ABC, NBC, CBS, and PBS.

Don't even consider indoor antennas, with it being a commercial building an a lot of electrical and computer equipment indoors, you are just asking for problems.

I'm going to suggest a single UHF antenna outdoors, perhaps a 4 bay antenna like a Antennas Direct DB4 or DB4e Antenna, wired into your existing coax (assuming it quality RG6 coax). Splitting to 6 TV sets may require an amplifier, but your signals are strong and you may not require it. I'd try pointing it to around 130 degrees in an attempt to get FOX and CW. If those channels don't matter to you, then I would point it to 90 degrees (directly EAST).

As for the Roku players, you will need one for each TV. If you are going wireless the Roku LT will do nicely for under $50 each, but if you want to hard wire them into your Cat 5 cable you will need a Roku 2 XS or Roku 3. The XS and Roku 3 have a nice feature of being able to play pictures, music, or video files directly from a USB device, which I think might be a nice option for a medical office.

Last edited:

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
You will likely get the Fox and CW stations even if pointed at 90degrees. Or the other stations if pointed at Fox/CW. Just see how it goes, but I doubt you'll have issues, especially if you can see the broadcast towers from your roof. You may get slightly better results with your antenna survey ran at rooftop height (15ft+), rather then the 8ft that I assume would be for above the false ceiling.

brettt07

DTVUSA Rookie
Would mounting one of these outdoor antennas in the attic area of our building work ok?
Thanks to both of you for helping me out. I appreciate it.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
brettt007,

As mentioned above, Commercial buildings are usually full of electronic 'noise' from computers, HVAC systems and in your case X-ray power supplies and other potentially noisy fixtures including fluorescent lamps.

Anything metallic in the attic will compromise your reception because they are unpredictable signal reflectors and/or they may block the signals you want to receive. This includes foil-backed insulation, HVAC ducting, water pipes, sewer stand pipe breathers, etc.

The construction materials of the walls will dampen or reduce signal strengths and if you have a metal roof, all bets are off.

Jim