Muscle Shoals: PBS Independent Lens

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
PBS series "Independent Lens" this week features the story of how Muscle Shoals, Alabama affected the American music industry. Home to Fame and Muscle Shoals recording studios, nearly every musician of note from the 60's onward have recorded there.

A unique blending of rock, blues, pop, country, and gospel sounds collided under the guidance of famed producer Rick Hall, founder of Fame Studios. With an unknown group of studio musicians known as The Swampers as the funky rhythm section, Fame studios and later Muscle Shoals Studios pumped out hit after hit. Some of the most famous recordings include "I'll Take You There," "Brown Sugar," "When a Man Loves a Woman," "I Never Loved a Man the Way That I Loved You," "Mustang Sally," "Tell Mama," "Kodachrome," and "Freebird".

Here is a promo of the documentary:

[video=youtube_share;mCshifztsFQ]http://youtu.be/mCshifztsFQ[/video]

The program is a must see for anyone who has ever listened to the music of legendary artists including Aretha Franklin, Duane and Gregg Allman, Bono, Clarence Carter, Jimmy Cliff, The Rolling Stones, Alicia Keys, Percy Sledge, Steve Winwood, and others. Check listings for your local PBS stations or catch it online soon at Muscle Shoals | Chronicle of Alabama City and on the PBS Roku
channel within the next few weeks.

Below is a picture of the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section, aka "The Swampers".

Yea, that's right. This bunch of nerdy looking white guys provided the funky grooves behind the soulful sounds of Aretha Franklin, Percy Sledge, and Clarence Carter!