My area sucks

sillyshy

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I tried many antanna's and 2 diffrent converter boxes bought new tv and still less channels then before. Before the switch over I got all channels using pre DTV now after the 12 of june I get nothing.

* red
uhf WNVC-DT 57.1 IND FAIRFAX, VA 31° 6.0 24
* blue
vhf WUSA-DT 9.1 CBS WASHINGTON, DC 52° 14.6 9
* blue
uhf WNVT-DT 30.1 IND GOLDVEIN, VA 231° 14.8 30
* blue
vhf WJLA-DT 7.1 ABC WASHINGTON, DC 52° 14.6 7
* blue
uhf WFDC-DT 14.1 TFA ARLINGTON, VA 54° 14.1 15
* violet
uhf WDCA-DT 20.1 MNT WASHINGTON, DC 51° 14.8 35
* violet
uhf WHUT-DT 32.1 PBS WASHINGTON, DC 52° 14.6 33
* violet
uhf WPXW-DT 66.1 ION MANASSAS, VA 52° 14.6 34
* violet
uhf WTTG-DT 5.1 FOX WASHINGTON, DC 51° 14.8 36

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
"Violet" channel strengths are weak and nearly always require a good deep fringe antenna and low noise preamp. The antenna should be as high off the ground as possible. Use high quality RG6 coaxial cable. Not RG59. You also need a rotor to turn the antenna the different directions the transmitters are in.

(Links are examples only - not recommendations)

Piggie

Super Moderator
I tried many antanna's and 2 diffrent converter boxes bought new tv and still less channels then before. Before the switch over I got all channels using pre DTV now after the 12 of june I get nothing.

* red
uhf WNVC-DT 57.1 IND FAIRFAX, VA 31° 6.0 24
* blue
vhf WUSA-DT 9.1 CBS WASHINGTON, DC 52° 14.6 9
* blue
uhf WNVT-DT 30.1 IND GOLDVEIN, VA 231° 14.8 30
* blue
vhf WJLA-DT 7.1 ABC WASHINGTON, DC 52° 14.6 7
* blue
uhf WFDC-DT 14.1 TFA ARLINGTON, VA 54° 14.1 15
* violet
uhf WDCA-DT 20.1 MNT WASHINGTON, DC 51° 14.8 35
* violet
uhf WHUT-DT 32.1 PBS WASHINGTON, DC 52° 14.6 33
* violet
uhf WPXW-DT 66.1 ION MANASSAS, VA 52° 14.6 34
* violet
uhf WTTG-DT 5.1 FOX WASHINGTON, DC 51° 14.8 36
A good many of your local stations changed their actual RF frequency post transition. You need to do a new channel scan and it's best to do the memory erase version of the scan when you have this many that changed.

http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...ion/3392-lost-channels-memory-erase-scan.html

But also some of your stations changed bands so if you don't have a UHF/VHF style antenna you might not receive them indoors, like

WUSA
WJLA

sillyshy

DTVUSA Jr. Member
"Violet" channel strengths are weak and nearly always require a good deep fringe antenna and low noise preamp. The antenna should be as high off the ground as possible. Use high quality RG6 coaxial cable. Not RG59. You also need a rotor to turn the antenna the different directions the transmitters are in.

(Links are examples only - not recommendations)
The preamp, RG6 and rotor how do you hook them all up? Inside?

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
Outside on the mast outside you install:
Antenna>Preamp>Rotor

Inside near the TV you install:
Preamp power supply & Rotor control

If you're not familiar with all of this it might be best to find someone locally who installs outdoor antennas to help you.

sillyshy

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I hate DTV

Had to buy new TV 2 diffrent antannas with analog got all local channels with digital get nothing. I hate it. I was told to buy an roof top antanna but refuse to due to parents house rules. How do I file a complaint with the FCC to get analog back. I did do the deep freeze or whatever it called like every day still squat.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Had to buy new TV 2 diffrent antannas with analog got all local channels with digital get nothing. I hate it. I was told to buy an roof top antanna but refuse to due to parents house rules. How do I file a complaint with the FCC to get analog back. I did do the deep freeze or whatever it called like every day still squat.
Here's a link to file a complaint with the FCC. Good Luck!
FCC Consumer Complaints

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Analog is not coming back. Complaining to the FCC that you want analog back will accomplish nothing.

At 15 miles, unless you have a terrain blockage, there's no reason an indoor antenna should not work for you on the UHF channels at the very least.

In your other thread, people attempted to help you, but more information was requested (specifically, the TVFool plot). You did not provide that information, thus people here were limited in their ability to help you. If you provide that information, along with information about what antenna you are using and other relevant information, I'm sure this can be sorted out.

- Trip

Piggie

Super Moderator
I did do a zip code look at his TVFool plot, then compared the strongest channels pre and post transition.

He had 2 of the strongest go VHF and one UHF go from out of core to in core.

So in plain terms three of his strongest stations changed actual channels they use.

So I wrote this in the other thread .

===========

A good many of your local stations changed their actual RF frequency post transition. You need to do a new channel scan and it's best to do the memory erase version of the scan when you have this many that changed.

Lost Channels? The Memory Erase Scan

But also some of your stations changed bands so if you don't have a UHF/VHF style antenna you might not receive them indoors, like

WUSA
WJLA

===========

I repeat, until this step is completed, you could spend a million dollars on antennas and you won't receive anything new.

Pretty much if this step is not completed we are at a brick wall with help.

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
Try this antenna. Extend the dipole rods ~15 inches or so and as horizontally as possible (not straight up). Place the antenna near a window, if possible, then rescan for digital channels with your digital tuner.

If it doesn't pick up at least some channels, you're doing something terribly wrong. Or you're in an underground bunker.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Though we have never received a reponse that he has rescanned if WNVC is his MHz outlet then he must have post transition as they went from out of core to in core.

Also his TVFool report if for 30 feet in the air outside, which is the default for TVFool if no antenna height is entered.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
It depends. If his MHz station was WNVT, then it didn't move.

If it was WNVC, it went off of DT-57 in September and was off the air until June 12, when it signed back on as DT-24.

- Trip

Piggie

Super Moderator
Depends on your limitations for putting up an outdoor antenna which are always the best. I have seen that second one for much less than that price and EV bought one recently and didn't like how cheap it was built.

Can you put a full sized antenna in your attic?