My dtv reception sucks - My DTV rant

DantheMan

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Why are analog signals easier to pick up than digital signals? Haven't we switched from analog to digital on our cellular networks? I'm sure that broadcasters could have learned something from the cell phone companies or two. And guess what, cell phone companies never had a "Digital Conversion" like the TV networks. Why? Because with cellular networks, it was technology and competition that drove the cell phone companies to upgrade to digital signals. Not some government mandate.

I've got an HD TV that receives 4 channels OTA. 4! I'm 12 miles from broadcast towers. My roof antenna has not helped, a purchased bow tie antenna has not helped, nor has the addition of an amplifier added to my setup helped.

Do I spend the money to get an antenna guy to come out or do I spend money on cable. Either way, this transition is costing me more money than what the $40 coupon has helped.

Why are analog signals easier to pick up than digital signals? Haven't we switched from analog to digital on our cellular networks? I'm sure that broadcasters could have learned something from the cell phone companies or two. And guess what, cell phone companies never had a "Digital Conversion" like the TV networks. Why? Because with cellular networks, it was technology and competition that drove the cell phone companies to upgrade to digital signals. Not some government mandate.

I've got an HD TV that receives 4 channels OTA. 4! I'm 12 miles from broadcast towers. My roof antenna has not helped, a purchased bow tie antenna has not helped, nor has the addition of an amplifier added to my setup helped.

Do I spend the money to get an antenna guy to come out or do I spend money on cable. Either way, this transition is costing me more money than what the $40 coupon has helped.
12 miles from transmitters is to close for a pre amp you are over loading your tuner. also digital signals can be UHF or VHF so if you have a VHF antenna you will pickup only those that are VHF if you have a UHF antenna you will pick up only the UHF and some high VHF. also if most are UHF and you have a combo antenna UHF/VHF the the bow tie looking part or back side of the antenna should be pointed toward the transmitters give us your zip and we can look at tvfool.com and see if they are UHF or VHF and all the signal strength and noise levels and can make a better suggestion.

DantheMan

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Maybe I was just a little irritable yesterday. thanks for the advice guys. I've checked tvfool long ago, along with antennaweb, but I think the solution is going to be installing a rotator. 2 of the stations are actually 18 miles away and in opposite directions of each other. Hopefully this'll be my last expense for DTV.

Maybe I was just a little irritable yesterday. thanks for the advice guys. I've checked tvfool long ago, along with antennaweb, but I think the solution is going to be installing a rotator. 2 of the stations are actually 18 miles away and in opposite directions of each other. Hopefully this'll be my last expense for DTV.
You need a relly directional antenna to over come the multi path from close transmitters if you want best results get an antenna like the antenna direct 91-xg from solid signal and you will get out to 70 miles without a pre amp. it is a UHF only antenna but place it 4ft over your current Vhf antenna and combiine them with a signal combiner add the rotator and you should get a lot better reception.:) buy the way where do you live and what is your zip code maybe we can see something that you missed on the tvfool output.

If you get a rotor get one with the remote control so you can adjust it without going on the roof

You'll need a compass, and look at tvfool and match up the compass with the directions.

Check out what this guy did

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0WQtzMdo7I[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

June

DTVUSA Rookie
Our entire country should be smelling a rat on this one! By the grace of God I can afford cable but choose not to buy into it. It’s another rip off supported by our fine government just like credit cards. They herd the population to buy into “Wonderful Technology” with no benefit other than deeper debt. Take away credit cards from everyone and most wouldn’t be able to survive. Now they are taking away a simple luxury and yes, It will affect the poor and those struggling in todays economy. This decision is a premeditated maneuver for deeper expenses down the road. They know people will need more than two boxes. How much will they cost after February 2009. How do they expect the poor to pay for replacement boxes. If they are manufactured as cheaply as todays electronics then you can expect to be replacing them yearly…thus more expense. Perhaps the rich are already investing in the manufacturer of these converter boxes knowing that sales are pretty much guaranteed. TV is all we have left so we won’t give that up.
Wake up America. This is just as big a rip-off as we endured with Oil Prices and our Government is letting it happen! We don’t stand a chance.

AND THEY WONDER WHY SO MANY PEOPLE ARE GOING POSTAL THESE DAYS!!!!!!

June

DTVUSA Rookie
Also, I live in the middle of hurricane country. Presently, if I need to keep tabs on news & weather when the power is out, I can use one of the battery operated TVs purchased for this purpose. Now, it seems that not only will people need to purchase converter boxes, but some will need to buy very expensive generators. It’s very difficult to view weather and evacuation maps on the radio. Another well thought out government brain storm.

Carmen

DTVUSA Rookie
I believe this change is not a very good one. Many people out there hardly make ends meet as it is.Some are still trying to recover from hurricane damage. Now they still have to worry about not being able to watch television. This also affects children who dont understand what is happening and that there tv doesnt work. what if this was you? what would you do or say to your child when he/she cries? Just cuz you have enough money (thanks to God) doesnt mean everyone does. My sister is the single mother of 5 children who works 2 jobs, no child support and they have yet to own a computer or a decent house as it is. She tries but she barely makes it, there are times they dont even have butane for a week or two. Dont judge people as criers unless you are in there shoes. We grew up as a very poor family and thank God that I am doing better than she is but that doesnt mean I am rich.She applied for that coupon and she was rejected cuz she has a P.O. box addess, so there goes that help.

I know this is late (sorry, stupid Mac, crashes more than WindowsXP--that's right, Macintoshes DO indeed crash!)

But you're incorrect about the Analog (AMPS) Cellular systems. they did in fact go through their own version of the digital transition on February 18, 2008. it was called the 'Analog Cellular Sunset' and it is now either one of two digital technologies depending on your carrier. if your phone has a Subscriber Indentification Module (SIM card), it uses GPRS/GSM technology, if you have Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, etc it won't have such a card and it will operate on an upgraded and more functional variant of TDMA called CDMA or 3G.

But i agree, the Analog cellular network had a much better chance of picking up bars than this stuff today, same for DTV. for those who only used a cell phone to do just that, call, receive calls, and didn't care for TXT messaging or internet, the AMPS system will be missed. :(

MBILL

DTVUSA Rookie
I live in the cornfields of Illinois (60115). Since getting my DTV box and antenna, I have rarely received a clear picture for over 20 minutes. I even went into my roof and installed an outlet so I could get the antenna higher, and still my reception sucks.

I have: "Tivax STB-T8 Digital to Analog TV Converter Box"

"Tivax DT-01 Amplified Indoor Digital TV Antenna (Black)

I am beginning to think this whole DTV thing is a rip-off.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Forum MBill,

Did you put the Tivax DT-01 Amplified Indoor Digital TV Antenna on the roof? Either way you probably need a lot more antenna if you are rural.

If you go to TV Fool and put in your address. The post the link they give you back here. Your address won't show.

Even better if you are very rural, the address is sometimes off so it really better to go to Google Maps Latitude, Longitude Popup then zoom down and find your house or property if needed go to satellite mode. Then past the coordinates in TV fool. The results will be a fairly accurate site survey of your reception possibilities.