My Hook Up

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Okay Guys -- Here's the deal. Have you ever had a stubborn older sister who argues with everything you say? I do, and we've been arguing over this setup. You guys are my experts, so you tell me. This is my main set up. Sorry I don't know the technical things -- you can tell me <g>

My twin lead comes up and is screwed into the brown thingy. The brown thingy is screwed into the black thingy. The black thingy plugs into the converter box.

Just for my information and to stop the arguing -- what is the brown thingy called, what is the black thingy called, and what is the purpose of each of them?

Attachments

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Okay Guys -- Here's the deal. Have you ever had a stubborn older sister who argues with everything you say? I do, and we've been arguing over this setup. You guys are my experts, so you tell me. This is my main set up. Sorry I don't know the technical things -- you can tell me <g>

My twin lead comes up and is screwed into the brown thingy. The brown thingy is screwed into the black thingy. The black thingy plugs into the converter box.

Just for my information and to stop the arguing -- what is the brown thingy called, what is the black thingy called, and what is the purpose of each of them?
The black connector is a 75 ohm to 300 ohm Balun. Also known as a matching transformer. The brown connector is a 300 ohm twin lead splitter. I would eliminate the brown connector completely for better reception. The brown made it possible to connect both the UHF and VHF signals to an old TV. The black is for converting from the 300 ohm twin lead to 75 ohm coaxial cable.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
That's called overkill. :)

Not sure of the actual names but that brown thingy is a band separator. It separates the vhf and uhf bands coming in from the antenna via the twin lead. The black thingy is a signal combiner/balun which is basically undoing what the brown thingy did.

That set up can't be good for reception. Go to Radio Shack and tell 'em you need a balun to convert 300 ohm twin lead to 75 ohm then take off the black and brown thingys and replace those with a single balun.

Orrymain

The black connector is a 75 ohm to 300 ohm Balun. Also known as a matching transformer. The brown connector is a 300 ohm twin lead splitter. I would eliminate the brown connector completely for better reception. The brown made it possible to connect both the UHF and VHF signals to an old TV. The black is for converting from the 300 ohm twin lead to 75 ohm coaxial cable.
Let's say thank you to the Geek Squad again, shall we? He's the one who attached the brown to the black, and what you're saying is that the brown should have been eliminated completely and redone just to have the antenna go straight into the the black. I do notice the black has two different spots for inputting. How do I know where to put the wires?

There is just one lead into the house. It goes to the brown thing. The brown thing then has a small lead that goes into the what I'll say is a bottom part of the black box. Then the brown thing has its own connector that goes into the top of the black thing. If I disconnect this, where is the proper place for the actual antenna to go?

Orrymain

That's called overkill. :)

Not sure of the actual names but that brown thingy is a band separator. It separates the vhf and uhf bands coming in from the antenna via the twin lead. The black thingy is a signal combiner/balun which is basically undoing what the brown thingy did.

That set up can't be good for reception. Go to Radio Shack and tell 'em you need a balun to convert 300 ohm twin lead to 75 ohm then take off the black and brown thingys and replace those with a single balun.
I'm trying to combine your response with the other. The first said that what I have in the black is the 300 to 75, or am I misunderstanding? If you read my response to him, though, I'm really not sure where to connect the antenna lead.

Now my sister says she has two twin leads into her house, whereas I only have one. Am I missing something, or why would she have a lead into her house that is actually two leads and why would I only have one lead?

Lastly, someplace on this forum I did see a picture of what I think you both are suggesting I need. I don't know where among the hundreds of messages that picture is. Is it possible that someone who knows what they're doing can attach a photo of the balun they think I need to buy?

Thanks again!

Piggie

Super Moderator
Orry, here is what Tim is telling you to do.

Go to Radio Shack and buy this:

Matching Transformer - RadioShack.com

===

Come home. Remove all boxes and things between the antenna coming in the house and the CECB.

Next hook the twin lead coming from the antenna under the two screws to the above balun you bought at Radio Shack.

Then push the balun into the input of your CECB. Where it says Antenna Input or Ant In or something like that.

Then run coax (probably already there) from the CECB to the TV. (If it's not coax between the CECB and the TV let us know, the next step. We WILL get you one tiny step at a time a better set up!

This should lessen a considerable amount of signal loss with all those boxes there now.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Let's say thank you to the Geek Squad again, shall we? He's the one who attached the brown to the black, and what you're saying is that the brown should have been eliminated completely and redone just to have the antenna go straight into the the black. I do notice the black has two different spots for inputting. How do I know where to put the wires?

There is just one lead into the house. It goes to the brown thing. The brown thing then has a small lead that goes into the what I'll say is a bottom part of the black box. Then the brown thing has its own connector that goes into the top of the black thing. If I disconnect this, where is the proper place for the actual antenna to go?
Yes, eliminate the brown and connect directly to the black. Either side will work fine. Save your money and use whats there. It will work fine.

Your sisters set up was extremely old. One of the twin leads could have been run to another TV in the house.

Orrymain

Thanks very much you two. I appreciate the detailed responses. I'm not dumb, but on this tech stuff I just need some step by step guidance. This works. I think I can handle it . <g>