My letter to NBC

Piggie

Super Moderator
I live in Orange Springs, FL in the Orlando DMA. I use to have a nice signal from WESH analog from Orange City. Moving the tower to Bithlo and the problems with VHF digital with impulse noise I no longer receive a signal from your network. I am a semi retired Broadcast engineer, so I have a lifetime of experience in broadcasting TV and Radio.

I have the recommended antenna for the area per the FCC is up 30 feet with at least 6dbd of gain. I have 12.5 dbd of gain up 30 feet with stacked Winegard YA-1713 yagis into a Channel Master CM7777 preamp. So it's not for a lack of an antenna system.

WESH recommend switching to WNBW from Gainesville. While I live within the FCC's 36 dbu contour their signal is way too weak to receive here from the Gainesville, FL DMA to which I live the closest. I am also in the FCC's contour for WTLV out of the Jacksonville, FL DMA. But their signal is too weak to over come noise on the band. Then at night WEDU interferes with the signal. The FCC also placed stations too close together in the Gulf Coast Region.

So even though the FCC shows me getting coverage from 2 NBC's even out of DMA, the signals are only present 50% of the time at best.

Since WESH and WTLV have already maximized their power output, there are only two solutions for where I live, North Marion County, FL
WNBW either needs to raise it's power, or WESH needs to add a translator for the north end of the Orlando DMA.

I love your network and have given up trying to watch it with all your affiliates on VHF which doesn't work well in the fringe area.

I hope you contact your affiliates with my viewing problems.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Wouldn't you get better results by getting a petition going in your community? If you were to get enough signatures from others at your location stating they are having the same reception issues as you, they then may have to take you serious. To send out a letter asking for another tower because one individual complains of reception problems, will probably fall on deaf ears and eyes.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Wouldn't you get better results by getting a petition going in your community? If you were to get enough signatures from others at your location stating they are having the same reception issues as you, they then may have to take you serious. To send out a letter asking for another tower because one individual complains of reception problems, will probably fall on deaf ears and eyes.
Yes, I have considered that. Forming a small OTA group here in the area. I would need to probably go over hundreds of square miles putting up flyers in many small towns around me. The area is more a small towns that actual rural.

However there is already a ground swell I was not aware of to the degree it was happening.

Take a gander here, so I put in my two cents. I am also sending WESH a letter.

Orlando, FL - OTA - Page 77 - AVS Forum

Piggie

Super Moderator
I can't turn my satellite off if want NBC. But I can also watch TNT, Scifi or is it SyFy now. I can say screw the locals.

By forcing us to cable, they are forcing us to not even watch locals. Like Stanislav over in the AVS Orlando thread says it better.

Orlando, FL - OTA - Page 77 - AVS Forum

this is not the same link at above. But it grabs the same page title.