My parents RV has a couple of TVs. need help.

HotTotty

DTVUSA Rookie
What I would like to know is if it's possble to convert a couple of TVs in a RV with hdtv converter boxes. My parents neighbors have a big sized RV with converters but they have a heck of a time picking up TV with it. Are there any RV hdtv antennas? They don't have a big budget.

Aries

DTVUSA Member
HDTV is a digital format, meaning that an antenna simply will not pick it up. If you want HDTV, you'll need to buy one Hell of a cable and plug it into your house and the other end into the RV.

Alternatively, you might be able to get a satellite, but don't quote me on that. I'm not sure if that can be done, but I do know that an analogue antenna can't pick up digital signals.

HDTV is a digital format, meaning that an antenna simply will not pick it up. If you want HDTV, you'll need to buy one Hell of a cable and plug it into your house and the other end into the RV.

Alternatively, you might be able to get a satellite, but don't quote me on that. I'm not sure if that can be done, but I do know that an analogue antenna can't pick up digital signals.
1. High def programming IS available for FREE through your local stations. You CAN receive it with rabbit ears/antennas. Crisp, clear, and uncompressed with better quality then any cable company.

2. "analog antennas". um what? all these names you see "HD antenna" "high def antenna" "analog antenna", this is all market hype. They all are designed to recieve VHF and UHF tv signals. Wether it's digital or not. Any antenna that picks up UHF and VHF television signals will work. That antenna you've had on your roof for years, if it's optimized for UHF and VHF TV signals, properly aimed, fresh length of high quality RG6, grounded properly, you can save yourself hundreds of dollars a year and get yourself a good sized free lineup of channels for $0.

----------

As for RV TV antennas, there ARE some out there. Winegard makes one. It's called the Wingman. Let me pull up a link for you HT:

Upgrade your Sensar Antenna with Wingman for Optimum DTV Performance - Winegard

One thing I should mention - DTV reception in a moving vehicle is very hard to deal with. It's 10x worse then analog. If you are watching the TV while parked somewhere, that should be good, but while moving your tuner will lock up and freeze from all the multipath and other causes.