My 'Retro' Home Theatre

It's a home-built replica. i couldn't find an original. the speakers were gutted for storage area, and the felt speaker grilles were cut so they could lift up to access (three VCRs, on right hand side, and a Samsung TIR-451 HD tuner and DVD Changer on the left side) while still hiding it and looking factory when not used. the TV is a 1979 Zenith 20" System 3, and one VCR (matching Zenith, from late 1980s) sits vertical and if the right door is opened all the way the VCR shows. gives a way to hide all the components and just show the TV if you wanted.

The cabinet was originally a Admiral stereo with phono (no 8-track) and the stereo died last spring, so i just recycled the cabinet. had a friend cut the hole for the TV, and the rest i did. the lid is useless it's just there.

What's on top is actually a video game centre with an Atari unit inside complete with games. i need the RF switch but it's a working unit.

oh come on now! The last two saw it!!! What's going on with this site? do i have to link to photobucket again? (i sure hope not, since it's so full of adobe flash it chokes my little Dell Optiplex to death!)

Why is it that some people ( me included) can see picture but not everyone else?!

It's not a filename too long error as Jay said since the filename is only "TV_console" so what gives?

Try it now. i sure hope this isn't some cruel joke because it is most certainly NOT funny. this would be the third time an image showed up fine for me and one or two other members but no one else. it doesn't make any sense. and i am NOT going to use photobucket for any more links because it is too fracking slow on a Pentium 233 with 128MB RAM and Adobe Flash player 10. Photobucket is way too massive with the Flash player and if anyone can see the linked images here fine. but it's faster to use this site and i am unable to find any rhyme or reason why it would display FINE for me, and possibly a few people but not others. so enjoy this last pic. i just don't get it, i've been able to view it fine on more than one computer and it seems it's either YOUR computers, maybe one or more of you are using some sort of blocking software, or your flash or javascript is shut down, but it's not at my end.

I could make a fake out antenna, because using an indoor one, even one from the late '50s, would probably cut my available 'services' in half. so far i can get 27, including real locals and distants (some only come in at night, and only in perfect weather) which is only 3 short of the cheapest satellite package :D

I'm still on the lookout for a real one though. the sound capability from a real multiplex was/is far superior in bass reproduction than a HDTV or surround set. there was no 'surround' but if you ever heard one, you wouldn't even dare try such a setup for surround. i had to gut the old speakers for space to hide the 'tech' inside. it's all old tech, with the exception of the 5-disc DVD changer vertically mounted on the left side (pull that door to the extreme left and it exposes it) and a HD Tuner (better than a DTV converter and does the same job) if the door is pushed a little to the right hiding the DVD changer and only exposing the IR receiver, so the box doesn't show. the VCRs are on the right side and a vertically mounted Zenith VCR from the 80s is also on that side. that's three VCRs, the other two are for playing a movie on the TV's channel 4 if the Zenith is recording or used for video input (had a ton of VCRs) saving me money buying a RF Modulator.

I do need a RF Switch for the Atari though.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
I'm still on the lookout for a real one though. the sound capability from a real multiplex was/is far superior in bass reproduction than a HDTV or surround set. there was no 'surround' but if you ever heard one, you wouldn't even dare try such a setup for surround. i had to gut the old speakers for space to hide the 'tech' inside. it's all old tech, with the exception of the 5-disc DVD changer vertically mounted on the left side (pull that door to the extreme left and it exposes it) and a HD Tuner (better than a DTV converter and does the same job) if the door is pushed a little to the right hiding the DVD changer and only exposing the IR receiver, so the box doesn't show. the VCRs are on the right side and a vertically mounted Zenith VCR from the 80s is also on that side. that's three VCRs, the other two are for playing a movie on the TV's channel 4 if the Zenith is recording or used for video input (had a ton of VCRs) saving me money buying a RF Modulator.

I do need a RF Switch for the Atari though.
Ever think about adding a Coleco? It's arcade quality you know? :p

Well, it's not so much the problem of needing an arcade console from the 1970s it's the problem of making the one i got work . i have a full-blown Atari 2600 on the top of the cabinet (looks like a record player but it's a video console with an atari inside with games) but only the RCA cable which is supposed to go to a RF switch like a Nintendo NES did way back. unfortunately i found out just plugging it into a Video Input doesn't do jack. i think it really needs the switch. i just have to find one somewhere for a Nintendo.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
"Retro" TV Christmas Ornament

Hey all!

I went shopping yesterday and there is an "animated" 'Retro' TV Christmas ornament available at Hallmark Stores right now!

It's a late 1960s-early 1970s wood-cabinet TV set with an image from 'The Twilight Zone' on its screen. :alien:

Push the button, and the screen lights up and the theme song from the show plays. The only thing missing is a pair of rabbit ears. Pretty cool for those of us who remember those days. Merry Christmas!
Jim

Next Stop: The Twilight Zone, a Hallmark Keepsake Ornament. What will you keepsake this year?

Attachments

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
My retro theater - in my head...

There's something special about listening to Mannheim Steamroller's annual Christmas show on the right radio ... theater of the mind, I guess. My scratchy old 78s sure sound good on Victor, too.

Merry Christmas!

Jim

Attachments

my Christmas Statler Brothers 8-track cart was playing better than i remember 8-tracks in my new Panasonic Quadraphonic Track Recorder/player, even if i had to repair the cartridge before playing as the tape was pinched somewhere and it refused to move. after that and a little warbly sound it straightened itself out and played clearly.