My Review - Only seen the CVD506 available at CVS

Purchased the Craig Electronics CVD506 from my local CVS in Wallace Village, CO last week for $50 - $40 Converter Coupon for a total of $10. This dtv box comes with analog pass-through and since the digital transition is most likely to be delayed another three months until some time in June, the analog pass-through feature is definitely worth it.

Setup was very simple. Channel scanning took a bit of time, but nothing out of the ordinary as compared to what I've seen with the other converter boxes in our house.

First thing I want to mention is the Craig receive more channels than my other box, which is a Magnavox TB100MW9. I'm not sure if it's a stronger tuner, but on the same antenna, I receive all channels with the Craig, vs. all but 2 on the Magnavox.

I'm not sure if this is typical among all converter boxes, but my Craig has different volumes for different channels, which requires me to adjust with the remote as opposed to watching analog channels that doesn't require any volume adjustments. Is this the way DTV is in general, or is it a problem specific with my converter box? I haven't been able to confirm the same problem with my magnavox since I don't have it hooked up anymore.

One thing that bugs me about the CVD506 is the lack of ability for manually adding a station. We own an RV, and I'd purchase another Craig if it had the ability to manually add stations instead of just depending on the auto channel scan option. As some of you may know, camping in the Colorado mountains and trying to pick up TV reception can be a pain in the rear!

Anyway, overall I'd recommend this box based on the tuner alone. It doesn't seem to run too hot, and has great reception, when used with a decent antenna.

Good luck everyone!

Purchased the Craig Electronics CVD506 from my local CVS in Wallace Village, CO last week for $50 - $40 Converter Coupon for a total of $10. This dtv box comes with analog pass-through and since the digital transition is most likely to be delayed another three months until some time in June, the analog pass-through feature is definitely worth it.

Setup was very simple. Channel scanning took a bit of time, but nothing out of the ordinary as compared to what I've seen with the other converter boxes in our house.

First thing I want to mention is the Craig receive more channels than my other box, which is a Magnavox TB100MW9. I'm not sure if it's a stronger tuner, but on the same antenna, I receive all channels with the Craig, vs. all but 2 on the Magnavox.

I'm not sure if this is typical among all converter boxes, but my Craig has different volumes for different channels, which requires me to adjust with the remote as opposed to watching analog channels that doesn't require any volume adjustments. Is this the way DTV is in general, or is it a problem specific with my converter box? I haven't been able to confirm the same problem with my magnavox since I don't have it hooked up anymore.

One thing that bugs me about the CVD506 is the lack of ability for manually adding a station. We own an RV, and I'd purchase another Craig if it had the ability to manually add stations instead of just depending on the auto channel scan option. As some of you may know, camping in the Colorado mountains and trying to pick up TV reception can be a pain in the rear!

Anyway, overall I'd recommend this box based on the tuner alone. It doesn't seem to run too hot, and has great reception, when used with a decent antenna.

Good luck everyone!
use an rca or an insignia for your Rv they have the ability to scan and add new channels without wiping out your old ones.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I'm not sure if this is typical among all converter boxes, but my Craig has different volumes for different channels, which requires me to adjust with the remote as opposed to watching analog channels that doesn't require any volume adjustments. Is this the way DTV is in general, or is it a problem specific with my converter box?
I think it's typical in general, my Insignia NS-DXA1 does the same thing.

mikebny

DTVUSA Rookie
cvd508

i lost my instructions for my cvd508 how the set go i see you say its simple do you just hook up all wires and plugg it in how do i get it to scan does it automactically scan or is there something i need to do it turns on and off from remote but thats all please help thanks