My Top 5 Most Anticipated TV Series of 2016

This list may surprise you a bit, seeing as how one item is a bit of a cop out and there are no superheroes series on it, but try to keep in mind that top _______ list articles are entirely subjective. I don’t care who’s writing them or how knowledgeable they are within a particular industry. Hell, I don’t care if someone actually went around and polled every person on the planet. These lists are entirely subjective and meant primarily to inform you of TV series and news you may not be aware of.

So, without further ado, here’s a countdown list of my top 5 most anticipated TV series of 2016.

5. Cleverman

Not much is known about Cleverman, but the little bit I’ve heard sounds right up my alley. It’s an American-Australian-New Zealand supernatural drama series about a group of non-humans fighting to stay alive as the rest of the world tries to hunt them down due to an inferiority complex. It’s only set to run six-episodes, but it has a stellar cast from various notable TV franchises and movies, such as Game of Thrones and The Hunger Games.

[video=youtube;_1SmJUBT5q0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1SmJUBT5q0[/video]​

4. The X-Files

I’ve never seen the original X-Files, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about it for over a decade now. The X-Files is bringing back the original Dana Scully and Fox Mulder, played by Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny respectively, and intends to pick up where the original series left off in 2002. It’s not a reboot or reimaging, it’s a continuation similar to what Samurai Jack is getting next year too, and I’m looking forward to experiencing the series for the first time next year.

[video=youtube;J2-vm-L_dk4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2-vm-L_dk4[/video]​

3. American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson

American Crime Story’s casting list would have me excited for just about anything, but they’re covering one of the most interesting court cases in U.S. history too. I wrote a news article about this earlier this week and I highly suggest you look into this series. The O.J. Simpson trial is a fascinating case study and moment in American history, and with a cast that includes talent like John Travolta and Cuba Gooding Jr. I don’t see where this project could go wrong.

[video=youtube;IxI8aPISq8I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxI8aPISq8I[/video]​

2. Game of Thrones: Season 6

Remember when I mentioned of the items was a cop-out? This is it.

The reason I’m including the sixth season of Game of Thrones is because the series has had the books to use as source material until this upcoming season. As the teaser trailer says, “The past is already written. The ink is dry. They have no idea what’s going to happen.” Book readers and TV fans alike will finally be on equal playing field, and that gives the series a bit of new life in my opinion.

[video=youtube;X4bF_quwNtw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4bF_quwNtw[/video]​

1. Lucifer

I loved Tom Ellis in Rush and thought it was a shame the show only got one season. He’s a good actor who’s just been having a tough time getting any series to stick. Lucifer could be his big break.

The show is about the Devil, who’s taken a bit of a break from the whole smoke and brimstone bit to chill on Earth among the humans. Of course he’s no saint, but he’s not a big bad almighty evil everyone makes him out to be. His absence from Hell is hardly unnoticed and desired though, which leads him into conflict with his angelic brethren as he tries to duck his duties as the ruler of Hell.

The first episode of Lucifer has already hit the web and it was awesome. I’ve watched it five times, and I’m hard pressed to watch something I really like twice. The series is comical without going overboard with it and has a fascinating premise that’s set-up quite well in the pilot. Hopefully this series will stick for Tom Ellis and fans can get used to his regular appearance on the small screen.

That’s my top 5. What are yours? Feel free to let me know in the comments below.