Mystery channel!

WPXE is an ION station. It is the only TV station licensed to my home town of Kenosha, WI, though it broadcasts from northeast Milwaukee. This last week, I've been getting a new subchannel on WPXE -- 55.4 . It is marked "ISHOP" but no further program information appears. It doesn't exist in the Titan TV listing, nor anywhere on the internet, as far as I can tell.

Currently, 55.4 is rebroadcasting IonLife from 55.3 three hours after the fact, until it goes off the air at 2 AM. By googling: "IonLife" AND "ISHOP" [both in quotes], I turned up half a dozen references to this channel that is not a channel from recent months, but none associated with WPXE, so it is my honor to announce a new TV channel! :cheers:

One theory proposed is that ISHOP is the IonLife feed from the west coast. Not so! The west coast is only two hours behind the Central Time Zone, not three. There is an iShop on the Dish network, and ISHOP was also the short name for the "iTV Shopping Network" in years past, but I don't believe either of these are connected with ION Media networks.

There is no reference to the word "ISHOP" on ION Television | Positively Entertaining , nor even to the words "shop" or "shopping"! My suspicion is they are planning a new ION Shopping channel, and they're testing some subchannels XX.4 for this purpose.

One strange thing: day before yesterday, the audio on IonLife on 55.3 was breaking up all day. 55.1, 55.2 and the copy on 55.4 were all fine. The signal meter showed no difference between the four subchannels, but 55.3 was unwatchable with the break ups. Somehow, this must be related to the testing on 55.4, but I can't imagine how. Yesterday, everything was back to normal.

Anyhow, it's nice to know if I miss a show on IonLife, I can watch it three hours later -- for the time being.

Rick

nbound-au

The Graveyard Shift
With digital TV, if u get one subchannel, you get them all, its all one big data stream. The audio on 55.3 was being broadcast like that (probably due to a fault in the network's distribution system)

My suspicion is they are planning a new ION Shopping channel, and they're testing some subchannels XX.4 for this purpose.
Confirmed. Channel 55.4 is now in sync with 55.3 "IonLife" almost 24 hours a day (a pure waste of bandwidth), EXCEPT for the occassional "Paid Program" for some skin cream, or diet pill, or whatever. Still can't find data on Titan TV for it.

Rick

dave73

DTVUSA Member
Many Ion stations are broadcasting a XX.4. WCPX in Chicago also has an ISHOP channel listed on 38.4, & simulcasting Ion Life. It's definitely a waste of bandwidth, & just makes their other channels look like crap. Unless they start up their own shopping channel, I won't be surprised if it'll be a 24 hour infomercial channel, just so they can fund their network.

It's definitely a waste of bandwidth, & just makes their other channels look like crap.
Not sure I'd go that far. Yeesh! Everybody's gotta make a buck! :gramps:

Unless they start up their own shopping channel, I won't be surprised if it'll be a 24 hour infomercial channel, just so they can fund their network.
They can do whatever they want. I'll just click ^ on my remote. :becky:

Rick