NAB CECB Specifications, Testing & Evalution Report

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Maybe it wasnt in this report, but I swear Ive seen this aspect tested. The LG tuner in the DTT901 tested @ 6db and the Sanyo tuner in the Zenith DTT900 tested @5db, but were probably just within manufacturers tolerance limits of each other....and under the NITA spec of 8db.....or something like that.

Last edited:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
From the NAB report,

Some boxes handled multipath conditions (or ghosting) better than others to an extent
significant enough to make a difference in the availability of local channels for some
consumers with challenging reception conditions. But all boxes met or exceeded the
NTIA multipath minimum performance specification.
With all converters passing the multipath minum performance specification, that's pretty good news but as I suspected, there is a clear difference in overall performance.

More than half of the boxes had no branding mark on their
remote controls
Wonder why this mattered? I guess it could cause some confusion for people who have more than one remote.

All boxes included a channel scan feature,
but the amount of time required to complete a full scan varied significantly by manufacturer.
A full scan ranged from as low as 40 seconds to as high as seven minutes and 30 seconds.
That's huge. There should have been a requirement made that converters should scan channels within a couple minutes atleast. I guess I have no room to complain because my smaller Phillips LCD in my bedroom takes about 5 minutes to scan channels which is ridiculous.

EscapeVelocity

Yeah, my Vizio GV42LF and GV42L both are slow scanners. The Zenith DTT901 and DTT900 that I had were both fast scanners....less than 2 minutes. Granted the Vizios are scanning analog as well.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Here is the wiki information page on CECBs, just for good measure.

Comparison of CECB units
It's an awesome source for CECB information, and it also has a list of non CECB / ATSC tuner set top boxes too.

Comparison of CECB units - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Non-eligible converters

The following units are capable of converting ATSC digital television to analog format but do not qualify for the US coupon program. In most cases, these are premium boxes with indicated disqualifying features such as digital, RGB or HDTV outputs.

* Coby DTV-140 (HDTV, component video)
* Grandtec Tun-5000 (HDTV, component video)[14]
* Panarex TR-100 (component video, S/PDIF, digital audio output) [15]
* PrimeDTV PHD-100, PHD-205 (QAM tuner, AC-3, S/PDIF, HDTV; the PHD-205 also provides VGA RGB output)[16]
* Samsung DTBH260F (HDMI, S/PDIF, component video, HDTV) and Samsung SIR-T451 (QAM, DVI, component video, VGA, HDTV, Dolby Digital)
* Sylvania 6900DTE (DVI, component video, HDTV, Dolby Digital)
* Tivax STB-T1 (component video, QAM tuner, Dolby Digital audio)
* Winegard RC-1010 (HDTV, component video, Dolby Digital audio)

Piggie

Super Moderator
Maybe it wasnt in this report, but I swear Ive seen this aspect tested. The Zenith tuner in the 901 tested @ 6db and the Sanyo tuner in the Zenither DTT900 tested @5, but were probably just within tolerance limits....and better than spec of 8db.....or something like that.
This sounds about right, as a good low noise amp ahead of one often increases reception.

EscapeVelocity

I edited my post to bring it out of barely understandable gibberish to something approaching understandability.

Maybe it wasnt in this report, but I swear Ive seen this aspect tested. The LG tuner in the DTT901 tested @ 6db and the Sanyo tuner in the Zenith DTT900 tested @5db, but were probably just within manufacturers tolerance limits of each other....and under the NITA spec of 8db.....or something like that.