Narrowed my choice for a new Antenna, feedback appreciated

Hello,

I've recently moved to south central KY and have decided to go with an antenna instead of cable, dish etc. Installing a new Antenna should be fairly easy considering the antenna pole is already attached to the roof of the house and 2 coax cables are already wired to it.

My TVfool report.
TV Fool

Antennapoint.com has suggested I get ClearStream 2V
AntennaPoint.com - Antenna Locator

I have also considered the AntennaCraft HBU44 & Antennas Direct C2 as options. I am simply looking to get a few local channels. Will the three antennas listed above be sufficent? Or should I be looking at other antennas?

Any and all opinions are appreciated.
Thanks
Derek

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Of the antennas mentioned, I'd think the HBU44 would be the best for your location (pointed southwest at about 230 degrees magnetic). The C2 and C2V antennas aren't really made for long distances. A C2V would possibly work for the local stations to the northwest, but I think you will be happier with the larger antenna pointed to the southwest.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Derek,

I see you didn't include the height above ground of your antenna in the survey, so your report should improve if you rerun it.

The pre-existing coax may or may not be useable but it is certainly worth trying. However, if water has entered it, the coax may be 'dead', especially if it froze over the winter. Check the coax to see if there is any visable damage including very tight turns (kinks) in the cable.

If you choose to replace it, use black-jacketed RG-6, not RG-59 because RG-6 has half of the signal loss over distances.

Please keep us posted and good luck!

Jim

FOX TV

Contributor
Hello,

I've recently moved to south central KY and have decided to go with an antenna instead of cable, dish etc. Installing a new Antenna should be fairly easy considering the antenna pole is already attached to the roof of the house and 2 coax cables are already wired to it.

My TVfool report.
TV Fool

Antennapoint.com has suggested I get ClearStream 2V
AntennaPoint.com - Antenna Locator

I have also considered the Antenna-Craft HBU44 & Antennas Direct C2 as options. I am simply looking to get a few local channels. Will the three antennas listed above be sufficent? Or should I be looking at other antennas?

Any and all opinions are appreciated.
Thanks
Derek

You have a lot of 2 edge channels in your list, and they may be hard to receive, and you do have several VHF channels in your list. I am very familiar with the C-2 antenna, and it works well on UHF, but it will NOT receive any VHF signals at all. I have achieved distances of up to 75 miles with it. the CV-2 I am not familiar with at all, but to me it looks like a compromise at best to make it receive VHF, and I bet it will not do any VHF LOW channels since the VHF driven element is so short. My antenna (the Datastream D-2)will do the job ,and it will do VHF too.

I would go with any type of antenna that has a wire backplane reflector over the Antenna-Craft since this style of antenna is more prone to multipath signals, and in your area, I am sure you have mountains that cause real problems with reception. My suggestion (OF COURSE) would be the Datastream D-2 antenna, which was designed by a TV broadcast engineer, and was specifically designed for mountainous areas. The D-2 has long distance ability with distances of up to 150 miles are possible in some instances.