NBC to Stream Olympics Live

Chips

DTVUSA Member
From this article.
TVTechnology: NBC to Stream Olympics Live
In part.
NEW YORK--NBC announced this week that it will offer live streaming coverage of all events during the 2012 Summer Olympics, July 27, Aug. 12, according to reports. This represents the first time U.S. viewers will have the chance to view any Olympic event as it happens, a departure from the networks’ traditional policy of tape delaying popular Olympic events for primetime.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
The only reason I ever watched NBC-US was when the used it for a second channel for Olympic events. Now, with this, I see no use for Universal Sports, and I won't miss them at all when they go to pay TV January first - even the lousy "LiveWell" network my NBC affiliate has chosen to replace it with will get watched more than NBC-US in my house.

Questions not answered by the article:
*Will it be free, or will we pay for streaming events?
*Will it be available to streaming device users, (Roku, Boxee, etc) or just on computers?

Chips

DTVUSA Member
The only reason I ever watched NBC-US was when the used it for a second channel for Olympic events. Now, with this, I see no use for Universal Sports, and I won't miss them at all when they go to pay TV January first - even the lousy "LiveWell" network my NBC affiliate has chosen to replace it with will get watched more than NBC-US in my house.
My understanding (which, if you have a dollar and my opinion, you can buy a cup of coffee, in another's words, it is not worth anything), Universal Sports, will completely disappear, come January 2nd, and be known as another NBC sports channel. NBC (Comcast) wants to compete with ESPN, and I am assuming, like ESPN they want multiple channels. Regardless, of Comcast's strategy, some articles state the Universal Sports will cease to exist, (at least by that name) come January 2nd.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
NBC (Comcast) wants to compete with ESPN, and I am assuming, like ESPN they want multiple channels.
ESPN has locked up pretty much any sports that people want to watch. Meaning, lots of luck, Comcast!

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I'd like the answer to the pay question about streaming because if the streaming is free, I'll watch it way more than I will TV coverage. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE the delay aspect to the Olympics like we get now. I want to see it live, like I did when I was a kid. However, I won't pay extra for what we should get in the first place.

Chips

DTVUSA Member
ESPN has locked up pretty much any sports that people want to watch. Meaning, lots of luck, Comcast!
I am not a fan of cable companies, like Comcast, or Time Warner, but I like the the move NBC has done under Comcast, by starting a Sports Network to compete with ESPN Disney. I read somewhere that NBC is trying to get some broadcast rights to Major League Baseball, give FOX some competition. If NBC adds MLB, to some of it broadcast stations, it might give them some stronger ratings. NBC needs to do something to increase their ratings, and sports programming so far gives them good ratings. A sports network, even if it is cable only, gives them a stronger sports division, which hopefully adds to their NBC network coverage. Like you have mention in other post. What is Comcast mentality?, will NBC cable be everything?, or will they try to build NBC, period?, NBC over the air, and NBC on cable?. Time will tell.