NBC Universal becomes Comcast-GE Joint Venture

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I was disappoint to hear it was final
I'm surprised. I'm not going to go so far as to say the deal is a conflict of interest but imagine if other cable providers start picking up other major networks. Especially ones that broadcast over-the-air. I'm willing to bet that Comcast is all for auctioning off the OTA spectrum forcing everyone to get cable or satellite.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I'm surprised. I'm not going to go so far as to say the deal is a conflict of interest but imagine if other cable providers start picking up other major networks. Especially ones that broadcast over-the-air. I'm willing to bet that Comcast is all for auctioning off the OTA spectrum forcing everyone to get cable or satellite.
I am willing to presume beyond a shadow of a doubt their interest is to kill OTA. Why?

Where the heck do you think that antennas look ugly, or in deeds and Home owner Assoc banned antennas?

Back the 70's cable companies everywhere made deals with land developers to add to deeds no OTA antennas. Wonder why? They told the public they were ugly. The land developers got payola and kick backs for every new resident that signed up for cable. Then they pushed the municipalities into passing anti antenna laws, again calling them ugly and making it a better town to live in.

At first when cable came out, most people still had their TV antenna hooked up. This could not stand by the cable companies. So besides the anti antenna laws, they pushed the concept of just not needing them.

I still watch it today. I buddy of mine several years ago took down his TV antenna he had up and working for decades. It was a little worn out but worked. He did so because he now had satellite. I asked but what if? He said there is no what if, I am on satellite.

Then the 2004 hurricanes hit and he found out that during the storm he could not run his generator (too dangerous for many reasons) and wished he could see local TV on his battery TV. I said well?

I gave him an old antenna and pole I had and he hooked it back up.

Over and over, I can quote example. Just 2 days ago a neighbor asked me why I had a TV antenna if I had DirecTV? That they didn't need the antenna and why did I? Even my wife jumped in and said I was a nut, eccentric. I said excuse me, one I don't pay DirecTV for HD. I get two other towns of locals and channels not on DirecTV like Create, and local weather channel. I said even the same networks didn't have syndicated programs on at the same time.

But it's the mindset. And it's all been brainwashed into the public started and still done by the cable companies.

So to me there is no doubt they would love OTA to be gone forever. No need to wonder.

JakesDTVBlog

DTVUSAForum Member, , , Webmaster of: Jake's DTV B
Comcast swears they'll stand behind OTA. Taking the bark off of it, I'm willing to bet that means FAR behind it!

Of course, if they dump Leno and either let the affils have that 10/9 hour or put dramas back on NBC, that would quiet me down a bit.

TVTom51

DTVUSA Member
This is a definite power move for Comcast.

NBC deal could change picture of US television

For Brian Roberts, the hard-charging but soft-spoken chief executive who built his family-controlled Comcast into the largest cable TV provider in the country, the deal is not merely a power grab.

Rather, it's an attempt to get ahead of the field in preparation for the not so distant day when the already blurring boundaries between television, home cinema, the internet and telephone communications disappear.

The Los Angeles Times said the deal represented a 'momentous shift' in the entertainment industry that underscores how cable companies have come to dominate content producers.

Read more: NBC deal could change picture of US television (News Feature) - Monsters and Critics