Need a antenna that's not so ugly. Possible suggestions?

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Depends on whether you need VHF or not, and how strong your signals are.

Post a link to your TVFool information and then we can ponder the possibilities.

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
Indoor, I'd go with the RCA ANT1550. It's perfect. It blends in with a white wall (though also comes in black), and is flush. I know, indoor antennas are hideous things I'd never want in my living room, even rabbit ears are ugly. I can't vouch for the quality of reception on this yet, however, since I have not gotten one but plan to in the future. I currently use rabbit ears, but fortunately for me, the signals are so strong where I live I have rabbit ears completely collapsed and I get everything perfect.

Last edited:

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
I have a RCA ANT1450 and it works OK for hi-VHF. It is not too good for UHF as far as I can see.

The 1550 might be better.
The 1550 comes with a removable pre-amp. But doesn't the 1450 come with that as well? The difference between the 1450 and the 1550 is size - the 1550 is bigger.

EscapeVelocity

I havent figured out the differences between the 1400 & 1450 plus the 1500 and 1550, plus the 1600 and the 1650.

The 50 indicates an amplifier.

The 1500 is bigger than the 1400.

Is the 1600 even bigger?

EscapeVelocity

It certainly has decent aesthetics, however its performance is about equal to a loop on UHF, on VHF not even close....the Rabbit Ears smoke it.

There's a flat type just like that that rates higher (borderline excellent/superior) than my cheap RCA 'wings' (which pick up everything but is rated as 'good') and requires zero aiming but the only thing which keeps me from paying for it is the obvious resemblence to a 'smart antenna' which i have heard suck.