Need a little DTV reception help

#40Fan

DTVUSA Member
I have just decided to see what DTV has to offer in my area. Was contemplating getting Dish's Turbo HD just so that I could watch Nascar in HD, but thought I would give this a try first.

First antenna I bought was this one.

Walmart.com: Philips MANT940 Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna: TVs

Works good, but couldn't get all of the channels that are available in my area. I could manually move it around and pick them up, but not all of them at the same time.

So I thought a bigger one that is multidirectional would do the trick. Off to Radio Shack and picked up this 80" roof mounted unit.

80" Boom Length, 32-Element Antenna - RadioShack.com

Little embarrassed to admit it, but I first had the above antenna installed backwards.

But, I figured that problem out. I can get all of the stations in analog, but have yet to get a single station in DTV.

I started out with the Phillips one hooked up and receiving a good signal. Switched to the Radio Shack antenna and spent a long time slightly moving it back and forth trying to get any reception, but was fruitless.

The Phillips is mounted just off the back porch. I started off with the Radio Shack antenna with me holding it while in the back yard. Ended up on the garage and still no DTV.

Could the bigger antenna be bad? If so, why analog, but not DTV?

81004 is the zip if that might help you help me.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Something doesn't sound right on the 32-element...It should pull UHF/VHF signals from afar. Do you have any hills/trees around your house?

everything on your list but one is 1 edge which means no line of sight. Radio shack antennas have a bad reputation for reception all of your stations but two are UHF and the RS antenna is weak on that part so my suggestion is this. but a antenna direct 91-xg place it 4 ft above the radios shack and combine the two with a signal combiner. point the radios shack VHF side to 22 degrees to pick up the close channel 8 VHF. point the 91-xg tilted to 15 degrees to 350 degrees to pick up all other channels.

#40Fan

DTVUSA Member
There are some trees directly in the path of the broadcast stations. I just installed the antenna on top of the house and am now getting some of the stations, but not all of them in DTV. The one that I am really worried about is Fox, which is 21. Our local PBS in on 8, and I don't care about those.

So as right now, without much tinkering with the antenna now that it is mounted on the roof, I am not getting 21 and 11. I'll try moving it around a little and see if they come in.

If that doesn't work, I'll give your suggestions a try.

Thanks for the help so far.

ok your problem is that the UHF side of your antenna is in the back and the Vhf is on the front the V shaped part. 11 is VHF and everything else is UHF so you would have to turn the antenna around to get 11 but would lose all else. again go to solid signal get the antennas direct 91-xg place it 4 ft over the radio shack antenna point he Vhf part of the rs to 350 degrees and point the 91-xg to 350 degrees combine with signal combiner then to coax into house, then you can get all without installing a rotator. problem solved.:) the antenna and the combiner would run around 100.00 which would be 40-50 less than a rotator.

Last edited:

#40Fan

DTVUSA Member
Sounds simple enough. Keep my Radio Shack antenna and turn it backwards. Get the Direct 91-XG and point it the right way. Mount the 91-XG four feet above and point them both in the same direction.

Anyplace to get the direct 91-xg other than the internet?

With your two antenna idea, would I still need to tilt either one of them?

#40Fan

DTVUSA Member
Don't know what happened to my last reply attempt. See if this one makes it through.

Just to get this straight, and possibly help any others, I need to do:

1. Install my Radio Shack antenna backwards to receive the VHF channel (11 in my case)
  2. Install the new 91-XG four feet above it (Does it need to be tilted though?)
  3. Point both in the same direction (RS antenna backwards of course)
  4. Combine them together using the RS as the VHF antenna and the 91-XG as the UHF antenna at the combiner

One more thing.. I plan to run this setup to two different TVs at opposite ends of the house. Right now I have only been trying to get things going on one TV. Will I need any kind of booster to make this happen? If so, do I install the booster after the combiner and before the spliter?

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Don't know what happened to my last reply attempt. See if this one makes it through.

Just to get this straight, and possibly help any others, I need to do:

1. Install my Radio Shack antenna backwards to receive the VHF channel (11 in my case)
  2. Install the new 91-XG four feet above it (Does it need to be tilted though?)
  3. Point both in the same direction (RS antenna backwards of course)
  4. Combine them together using the RS as the VHF antenna and the 91-XG as the UHF antenna at the combiner

One more thing.. I plan to run this setup to two different TVs at opposite ends of the house. Right now I have only been trying to get things going on one TV. Will I need any kind of booster to make this happen? If so, do I install the booster after the combiner and before the spliter?
Using a combiner and a splitter will cut down your signal by about 7 db so you probably will want a booster. Cowboy can tell you for sure.

The booster/ preamp (if you need one) will be in two parts, the actuall amp and it's power supply. The power supply and amp will go in between the splitter and combiner.

If you use a pre amp use the channel master titan 2 7777 use this to combine the two antennas it has one UHF input and 1 VHf input and 1 out put to the tv. yes you can still tilt the 91-xg it has a mount on it that allow it to tilt. point the v shaped side of the radio shack toward the transmitter. the pre amp will do away with the combiner. the only problem I see with the preamp is channel 8 which is really close actually playing with the height at tvfool.com using your zip code the higher I go 2- to 30 the signal is worse than at 0 ft so I would place it as close to the roof top as possible. and see what happens. that is really weird. make sure the power injector for the preamp is between the spliter and the pre amp.

#40Fan

DTVUSA Member
If you use a pre amp use the channel master titan 2 7777. Use this to combine the two antennas. It has one UHF input and 1 VHF input and 1 output to the tv. Yes, you can still tilt the 91-XG. It has a mount on it that allows it to tilt. Point the "V" shaped side of the radio shack towards the transmitter. The pre amp will do away with the combiner. The only problem I see with the preamp is channel 8 which is really close. Actually playing with the height at tvfool.com using your zip code the higher I go, 2 to 30, the signal is worse than at 0 ft. So I would place it as close to the roof top as possible and see what happens. That is really weird. Make sure the power injector for the preamp is between the spliter and the pre amp.
You scare me. :)

I'll see what happens when my new 91-XG shows up and go from there. Hopefully that channel 8 that is real close will stay out of the picture, since it is now, and I won't have to worry about it.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
You scare me. :)

I'll see what happens when my new 91-XG shows up and go from there. Hopefully that channel 8 that is real close will stay out of the picture, since it is now, and I won't have to worry about it.
Cowboy is the resident reception robot. ;) I've seen a lot of positive reviews about the channel master titan 2 7777 preamp, so it may help. Just like everyone here trying to better their reception, there isn't a guaranteed setup or combination that will work for everyone.

#40Fan

DTVUSA Member
Giving this a little more thought, I figured I would post the picture of what TV Fool is showing for my location with the antenna mounted 20' off of the ground.

#40Fan

DTVUSA Member
And I in no way meant any disrespect to Cowboyup. It is just in these last few days I have been teaching myself the lingo of the DTV world and reading the words of a highly skilled technician has been a little scary for me, at times.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
ouch, 38 miles out...Could you possibly sell your current house and move closer to broadcast towers? I'm so kidding!! I'll let the pro's give you their best guess on this one...

#40Fan

DTVUSA Member
No, can't sell. But, I could probably move my antenna over to the neighbors house. Do you think 50' closer would help. :D Maybe just a tree virus would do to help clear a path.

#40Fan

DTVUSA Member
I have to also throw something else out there. While I have the big RS antenna mounted on my roof, I also have the little Wal-Mart antenna mounted on my back porch railing.

This little burger is picking up more of the DTV stations then the roof mounted antenna.

Next time I get a chance, I will mount it on the roof and see what happens.

#40Fan

DTVUSA Member
My 91-XG showed up today. Got it put together, mounted 4 feet about the Radio Shack antenna, installed the combiner, turned the RS 180 degrees (backwards) and scanned.

I am now getting everything but the channel 11 (KKTV-CBS) which is in the VHF range. Maybe some tinkering tomorrow will bring it in. Any other suggestions before I crawl back up there.

#40Fan

DTVUSA Member

Using the above picture as a guide I have the part of the antenna that is in the lower right pointed towards the transmitter.

Is there anything special that I need to do when scanning for this channel when using the combiner? I have the output cable connected directly to the DTV TV. No converter box.