Need a little DTV reception help

heck if that antenna can pick up stations 38 miles out i better get one. i'm missing WAZE-TV because it's 28 miles away, even though i pick up more distant stations fine (ABS is about that and so is channel 9 PBS, yet it is always pegged at 100%)

#40Fan

DTVUSA Member
Well, here is a kicker. Borrowed a spare converter box from the father-in-law and while using it, I pick up three more channels. Channel 11.1, .2, and .3. Hook the antenna back up to the tv without the box and I still can't get the 11's to come in.

On another note, FIL's home is 64 miles from the same transmitters that I am using and is picking up everything but a channel 48.1. Here is what tvfool is showing for his place.

Last edited:

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Well, here is a kicker. Borrowed a spare converter box from the father-in-law and while using it, I pick up three more channels. Channel 11.1, .2, and .3. Hook the antenna back up to the tv without the box and I still can't get the 11's to come in.
In the words of Tom Jones, "It's not unusual." :)

Several of us here have found that the converter boxes pick up more channels than our digital tv tuners will.

Glad everything's turning out so well for ya.'

#40Fan

DTVUSA Member
Where do my posts keep going?

Tim58hsv's last post should have been post #23.

I made another post last night, viewed it and now it is gone this morning. Hmmm

Oh...my 91-XG showed up today. Got it put together, mounted 4 feet about the Radio Shack antenna, installed the combiner, turned the RS 180 degrees (backwards) and scanned. I am now getting everything but the channel 11 (KKTV-CBS) which is in the VHF range. Maybe some tinkering tomorrow will bring it in. Any other suggestions before I crawl back up there.

I've been researching that philips mant940....don't know if I should get one or not and try it out. It's rated for 20 miles max but I'm 28 miles. It comes with a booster though. I know a great spot to mount it right on the top 3rd floor blalcony although the other houses are still higher. Maybe if I point it so it shoots over the house I can get a clear path.

All my stations are in a tight spot (roughly 1-2 degrees apart) so maybe I'lll get them all without adjusting.

The spanish channels I could care less for. Once in a while they have these bikini chicks dancing though.

Several of us here have found that the converter boxes pick up more channels than our digital tv tuners will.
YES.

Last edited: