Question: Need a relatively simple small VHF-H antenna that will fit on a j-mount

dth71

DTVUSA Rookie
I recently installed a Antennas Direct Clear Stream 2 and it picks up all the local stations except 1 (ABC on real channel 10 (27.1 DTV))

The problem is the Clear Stream 2 is designed for UHF signals only. This is a real irony as I can pick up channel 8 (8.1 DTV Digital) (local) which is also VHF-H band, but not ABC.

So I need a cheap VHF-H antenna that will attach easily to a J Mount that is not too obtrusive outside.

Here is my tv fool map

TV Fool

Recommendations?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I assume your CS2 is pointed towards channel 8, putting 10 at a right angle to your antenna - typically a dead zone for most antennas. Am I correct?

You could construct a simple VHF-hi antenna, like a set of outdoor rabbit ears. For channel 10, the combined length of the 2 elements would be about 29 inches. Aimed right at channel 10, it just may be enough gain to pull it in. Stainless welding rods make a good material for the 2 rods.

dth71

DTVUSA Rookie
I assume your CS2 is pointed towards channel 8, putting 10 at a right angle to your antenna - typically a dead zone for most antennas. Am I correct?

You could construct a simple VHF-hi antenna, like a set of outdoor rabbit ears. For channel 10, the combined length of the 2 elements would be about 29 inches. Aimed right at channel 10, it just may be enough gain to pull it in. Stainless welding rods make a good material for the 2 rods.
I tried adjusting the antenna in a north easterly direction in hopes of getting both channels to the north and east. East comes in just fine. And I can get the MPT public TV to the north.

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can grab two welding rods and a couple u brackets to mount it and put in into a winegard preamp.

It can if you have a hacksaw..... Take it apart and make a small unit that will attach to the J-pole.

However, the dipole is bidirectional with a -3 dB beamwidth of around 65°. That's pretty generous.