Need Antenna Advice

U

Unregistered

I'm new to antennas and the amount of information out there is overwhelming. I was told that the CM2016 and/or the ANT751R would be good choices but according to the TVFool chart there are some stations that would be facing South as well. I was told the CM2016 and the ANT751R are directional so if I face them North will I still be able to get MPT etc that are to my South?

Some input from those knowledgeable would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

TVFool Chart Link:
TV Fool

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Guest,

Your antenna survey is resolved at 5' above ground level and it is in your general vacinity: in my case when I run a 'generic survey' my location is 'guesstimated' about three miles to my north and the results are very inaccurate compared to my actual location.

I suggest you return to the site and run a new survey using your address or GPS co-ordinance: that website will automatically conceal your address for your security. Secondly, the actual height above ground where you intend to mount your antenna is also important, so please include it when you run your new survey.

With a more accurate survey, we will be far better able to help you choose a proper antenna for your location.

Jim

G

Thanks for the help. I initially entered only my zip code for the first survey. This time I've added my exact address as well as used a height of 15'. I'm not 100 percent sure about the height but that may be about as high as my roof.

New TVFool survey info:
TV Fool

MPT is also broadcast north of you from Owings Mills. It shows up as channel 29 on the target chart.

The Antennacraft HBU 22 would be the best bang for the buck solution for your situation. The ANT-751 is also a great antenna, but a bit more expensive.

Aim the Antenna N/NW & then experiment with aim if WMPB/PBS or WUTB/My TV give you any problems.

G

Great, thanks for the help. So if I aim the antenna towards TV Hill (where most of the towers are) I won't pick up PB or WUTB? Or will your suggested antenna pick them all up?

I would like to be able to pick up all local channels without moving the antenna but if I have to lose PBS/WUTB to avoid rotating the antenna then I'll just have to live with that.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
The Channel Master CM-3010 has been known to work well in areas like yours. While your local Baltimore stations are to the north, the bulk of stations are to the southwest (Washington, DC). You have very strong signals from the locals, and strong to moderate signals from the southwest. I'd point the antenna toward the 240 degree magnetic direction (southwest), and pick up the locals on the back of the antenna.

Great, thanks for the help. So if I aim the antenna towards TV Hill (where most of the towers are) I won't pick up PB or WUTB? Or will your suggested antenna pick them all up
The signals from TV Hill are so strong you won't need a direct aim. Experimentation with aim to the N/NW should bring in all the Baltimore stations if using one of the suggested moderately directional antennas.