Need antenna advice.

siryak

DTVUSA Rookie
Ok here is my situation. I am trying to pick up Dallas/Ft Worth locals. I live about 64 miles by the crow flies from Ft Worth. Now for the challenge. I am in a multi story apartment complex and an outdoor antenna is not an option for me. Is there any indoor antenna that can reach that far?

I know that some of these channels at least used to be very strong. Whenever they were analog I was able to pick them up as far as 105 miles away with rabbit ears. It was fuzzy, but watchable. Just for something easy I went to Wal-Mart and tried the Phillips SDV6122 which didn't pick up anything.(wasn't really surprised here) I know digital is different though. :duh::ballchain:

So any thoughts on this?

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
:welcome:

Your chances for decent DTV reception with any indoor antenna at that range are somewhere between "slim" and "none," unfortunately. It won't hurt if you try a few models from a place that has a liberal return policy. You may find something that works better than what you have now, but don't be too surprised if nothing seems to do the trick.

If you have a balcony and that balcony faces the signals you want, you could sink a mast of some sort into a concrete-filled bucket, mount an outdoor antenna to the mast, and use a flat coax for getting the signals through a door or window, but you'd need a pretty big antenna, and probably a pre-amplifier, to do the job right. Even at that, 64 miles is right at the point where antenna height starts to become really important, so there are no guarantees.

If you like, please visit this page, input address and antenna height above ground level, and share the results with us by including the boldface link on the report that follows the phrase, "If you would like to share these results with others..." (The resulting report doesn't include the address.) We might get a better idea of what you're up against with that info, and be able to provide something more than the very general advice here. Thanks!

siryak

DTVUSA Rookie
Yah I ran that test and it doesn't look to good. What baffles me is how it can go from literally reaching 105 miles(with several hills between) on rabbit ears to can't get it only 64 miles away with an amplified antenna.

TV Fool

Piggie

Super Moderator
Yah I ran that test and it doesn't look to good. What baffles me is how it can go from literally reaching 105 miles(with several hills between) on rabbit ears to can't get it only 64 miles away with an amplified antenna.

TV Fool
Those are really super weak signals. I have little hope it will work but a Terk HDTVa if you can get it to a balcony or window facing east is your best shot.

Still you are right at and below reception levels on all channels.

The problem is faced by many rural viewers that did tolerate some snow in the picture. With digital there is a cliff. If you are on the weak side of the cliff you receive nothing, where as with analog you could have watched a very snowy signal.