Need antenna for 30-40 miles away but also durable so I can take it down often.

qwerty

DTVUSA Rookie
I have a camper I want an antenna for. I've decided to not go with a typical "rv" antenna and instead will go with a traditional style and mount it on a boom. It will be extendable to 30 feet AGL. I however need an antenna that will fit my use case and not be extremely delicate. I will obviously be taking the antenna down and stowing it in the camper when moving. So many of the antennas look like the whiskers would easily break. My budget is $50 or less but I would spend more if I had to.

:welcome: to the forum, qwerty!

I have a camper I want an antenna for. I've decided to not go with a typical "rv" antenna and instead will go with a traditional style and mount it on a boom. It will be extendable to 30 feet AGL. I however need an antenna that will fit my use case and not be extremely delicate. I will obviously be taking the antenna down and stowing it in the camper when moving. So many of the antennas look like the whiskers would easily break. My budget is $50 or less but I would spend more if I had to.
That's a tough one. Usually they figure an RV antenna needs hi/lo VHF, UHF and a sturdy rotor. That puts you north of $120 or so. I'll assume you can do without low VHF, since that's getting pretty uncommon, and you can aim it manually, since you're taking it down while on the road.

If we're clear on all that, I'll go out on a limb and suggest an RCA/Audiovox ANT751 or ANT751R:
Amazon.com: RCA ANT751 High Quality Durable Compact Outdoor Antenna: Electronics

Or if you want something much bigger and stronger, you could try a Stellar Labs tri-boom combo:
Stellar Labs VHF/UHF HDTV 60 Mile Fringe Yagi Antenna | 30-2440 (302440) | Stellar Labs

But don't go just on my recommendation. Wait for more suggestions. Maybe someone can talk you into something pri$ier.

Rick

qwerty

DTVUSA Rookie
:welcome: to the forum, qwerty!

That's a tough one. Usually they figure an RV antenna needs hi/lo VHF, UHF and a sturdy rotor. That puts you north of $120 or so. I'll assume you can do without low VHF, since that's getting pretty uncommon, and you can aim it manually, since you're taking it down while on the road.

If we're clear on all that, I'll go out on a limb and suggest an RCA/Audiovox ANT751 or ANT751R:
Amazon.com: RCA ANT751 High Quality Durable Compact Outdoor Antenna: Electronics

Or if you want something much bigger and stronger, you could try a Stellar Labs tri-boom combo:
Stellar Labs VHF/UHF HDTV 60 Mile Fringe Yagi Antenna | 30-2440 (302440) | Stellar Labs

But don't go just on my recommendation. Wait for more suggestions. Maybe someone can talk you into something pri$ier.

Rick
Thanks for the reply.

More information: The RV is actually a mini-cabin sat on a trailer that I tow to hunting locations so it isn't your "typical rv."

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: qwerty,

Since you can raise an antenna about 30 feet above ground level, I suspect you are using a three-section telescopic mast on your portable cabin and if so, that is a strong mast that would allow you to choose from a variety of 'better' antennas, assuming you are willing to store it on the 'cabin' roof when it is not in use.

Please advise.

Jim

qwerty

DTVUSA Rookie
:welcome: qwerty,

Since you can raise an antenna about 30 feet above ground level, I suspect you are using a three-section telescopic mast on your portable cabin and if so, that is a strong mast that would allow you to choose from a variety of 'better' antennas, assuming you are willing to store it on the 'cabin' roof when it is not in use.

Please advise.

Jim
It is going to be on a telescopic mast. However, I will not be able to stow the antenna on the roof while moving as low hanging limbs would destroy it, so it would have to go inside.

Would a pre-amp be necessary for this setup? Seems that with DTV preamps are mostly used to boost the signal over long runs of coax.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
You probably don't want a pre-amp since your house moves from location to location. In some locations it would help, in other locations it will hinder reception (overload your tuner). That Stellar Labs antenna looks interesting.