Need DTV receiver for Sony kp51hw40

Bob1774

DTVUSA Rookie
I purchased a Sony kp51hw40 proj. TV some years back, but is HD and digital "ready", with 1080i and has component video inputs.

What external digital receiver works well with this set? We have Comcast cable, no ext. antenna, and only hope to be able to get the additional channels now streamed in digital with cable. Thanks for you suggestions.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Do you want High Definition or just standard definition? HD = $75-$100 and you can't use a dtv coupon and standard definition = $40 to $60 minus $40 coupon.

Bob1774

DTVUSA Rookie
DTV receiver

HD would be preferred.
Would this receiver/tuner detect the digital signals available in the Comcast cable? I already have one of the basic digital/analog converter boxes which did nothing using the Comcast re-broadcast signals for input. I also have another new DTV, which does decode the digital, non-premium cable.

Bob1774

DTVUSA Rookie
any additional info? Since I'm new to "forums," perhaps I "posted instead of replying...

I would prefer a HD tuner to get the best possible images from the basic Comcast cable service, without purchasing/renting their box, or paying their premium fees.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Hi Bob, sorry, sometimes it takes a few days for one of us to respond.

the following converters are High Definition output capable,

Coby DTV-140 - component output

Grandtec Tun-5000 component output

Panarex TR-100 component output - digital audio output

PrimeDTV PHD-100, PHD-205 - QAM tuner, AC-3, S/PDIF, HDTV; the PHD-205 also provides VGA RGB output

Samsung DTBH260F HDMI, S/PDIF, component video, HDTV

Samsung SIR-T451 - QAM, DVI, component video, VGA, HDTV, Dolby Digital

Sylvania 6900DTE - DVI, component video, HDTV, Dolby Digital

Tivax STB-T1 - component video, QAM tuner, Dolby Digital audio

Winegard RC-1010 - HDTV, component video, Dolby Digital audio

I've linked to information pages for each converter. Please verify that each one does output up to 1080i as I haven't done a whole lot of research regarding these boxes. I'm sure most all of these do since they either come with a component output or hdmi output.

Bob1774

DTVUSA Rookie
Thanks to O-O for the comprehensive listing. I'll do some further research and shopping online to find a suitable box until we purchase a new DTV. Great help! Thanks again.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I purchased a Sony kp51hw40 proj. TV some years back, but is HD and digital "ready", with 1080i and has component video inputs.

What external digital receiver works well with this set? We have Comcast cable, no ext. antenna, and only hope to be able to get the additional channels now streamed in digital with cable. Thanks for you suggestions.
You need to contact Comcast for a HD tuner compatible with their cable package. Anything you purchase will need to be activated by Comcast.