This was taken from the link below

Transmitter Profile Detail
WPXQ-DT (Digital)
Channel: 17 (69.1)
Network: ION
Maximum ERP: 1000.000 kW
Coordinates: 41.494821 -71.784514

TV Fool

This i belive is a radar plot. How do i read this? It looks like its a terrain profile between the Tower and where i am at. What does each color represent?

CrazyDave

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Yes it is, but you're better off viewing the main plot that shows all of the channels with the amount of distance between them and you. I'm unable to get to those results without a direct link. :)

The link you provided is more of a "guess" at terrain, and is probably less useful than the main results that TVFool provides.

I am not exactly an expert on reception, so maybe someone else has a better answer.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Yes it is, but you're better off viewing the main plot that shows all of the channels with the amount of distance between them and you. I'm unable to get to those results without a direct link. :)

The link you provided is more of a "guess" at terrain, and is probably less useful than the main results that TVFool provides.

I am not exactly an expert on reception, so maybe someone else has a better answer.
You have it right. You need to look at the main plot. Post the main plot here if you want help finding your local channels.

What you posted is the Transmitter Profile Detail which just shows one stations results. It does show you behind a lot of hills.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
You have it right. You need to look at the main plot. Post the main plot here if you want help finding your local channels.

What you posted is the Transmitter Profile Detail which just shows one stations results. It does show you behind a lot of hills.
How does Andy w/tvfool get that info? Has he ever stated how accurate it is? Would be a lot of work to put that much detail about topography into each station unless it draws from another source like Google Maps?

Last edited:

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
How does Andy w/tvfool get that info? ...
TVFool draws topo information from Google Maps for a specific location, combines it with the FCC's latest station database, and predicts signal strengths through a radio propagation algorithm. The chief factors here are the direct relationship between signal degradation and increasing distance from the transmitter, and whether an obstruction, such as a ridge or mountain, stands between a transmitter and your antenna.

TVFool isn't 100-percent perfect, but it is pretty d*mn*d good. You might be interested in this thread, where users let Andy know about any errors:

Official TV Fool forum.

As you'll see, he takes any reports of field experiences at odds with report results very seriously, and is quick to fix anything that isn't quite right. When he can do so, that is: A lot of TVFool errors seem to occur because info in the FCC database is bad!

dbtmellis

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Is this a better chart to read?
From what i can gather, the compass type diagram, my location is right in the middle?
Also, when finding out direction or heading, is all that is needed a standard boy-scout type compass? I have to go find mine from years ago, hope it still works.