Question: Need help selecting antenna

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Kevin

Good news! Federal Law supersedes your HOA, so you are legally allowed to use outdoor antennas and they are prohibited from stopping you. Please read this FCC page: https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-reception-devices-rule

Per your antenna survey, the stations clustered to your Northwest carry all of the major Networks and all are UHF channels, except for WTVI PBS which is REAL channel 11 and is high-band VHF. It is LOS (Line Of Site) from you and it is quite possible a UHF antenna will receive it.

Regarding choosing an antenna, I need to know if you are willing to try a two-antenna solution to receive 11, if a UHF antenna does not capture 11 and potentially other high-band VHF channels and here's why: go back to your antenna survey are read the channel list marked REAL channels. Within 3 years, all REAL channels above 37 will be forced to move to lower channels, and some may choose to go to high-band VHF. So, our antenna recommendation/s consider what is going to happen to the TV Bands in the near future. Please advise.

Jim and the DTVUSA Forum staff.

Channel Repack information is available on the RabbitEars.Info site. Here is a link to useful tool to figure out what changes will take place in your location.
http://www.rabbitears.info/repackchannels.php
I took a look at the Charlotte NC market, if that is close enough, and got this result.
http://www.rabbitears.info/repackchannels.php?country=US&city=&state=&mktid=32&owner=&sort=
It doesn't look like any UHF channels in that area will be moving to VHF.
I notice that not all of the needed major network channels are line of sight. I would try a UHF 4 bay antenna, but you might have to get it outside, and experiment with placement.

Seismics

DTVUSA Rookie
Fringe Reception: According to the rabbit ears report referenced by RF Steve none of the UFH channels will be repackaged to VHF. My main concern is getting ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX. Anything else will be icing. Thanks, Kevin

Seismics

DTVUSA Rookie
Based on RF Steve's reference to the repackage report from rabbitears none of the channels in my area will be moving to VHF. I'm mainly concerned with being able to receive the majors; ABC, CBS,NBC and FOX. I'd still like to keep the antenna in the attic if possible. Plus that will get it at about 25' off the ground.

Thanks, Kevin

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Kevin,

The 4-Bay I linked to above has some ability to receive high-band VHF. The success of attic antenna installations has much to do with building materials. If the siding is metal, all bets are off.

I suggest you try your antenna at a convenient location in your attic and 'scan-for-channels' to see what it captures. If some channels are missing, write down the results of your first scan and move the antenna to a different location and rescan. Continue to record the results and move the antenna all over your attic until you find all of the channels you want to receive. Now you're close to the best place to permanently mount it.

I would watch TV at different times of the day to make certain the channels are stable and if not, move your antenna a foot or two to the right, to the left, up, AND down. DO NOT RESCAN, because (all of) the channels are already memorized by your tuner. Small changes in your antenna location may be enough to stabilize the reception. Please keep us posted on your results and good luck!

Jim

Seismics

DTVUSA Rookie
Hey Fringe. I tried to respond previously but not sure it went through. We're mainly concerned with getting the major networks like FOX, ABC, CBS, and NBC. We would still like to keep the antenna in the attic. There is plenty of room as we have a 10:12 pitch roof. Thanks, Kevin