Question: Need help with antenna please!

U

Unregistered

I have a Winegard HD7694P High Def VHF/UHF antenna. Specs say "optimized for channels 7-69, range 50 miles. The antenna is approximately 20" in the air. The cable goes to a 2 way splitter and there is a split from the antenna to the splitter because I tried a pre-amp that when hooked up gave me no channels at all. We have the antenna pointed at the southern stations because they are farther away and there are more of them. We have two TIVO boxes which brought in more channels than just the antenna but alot of the time the channels are pixelated, especially when it rains. What do I need to do to bring the picture in clear. Do I need a amplified splitter? Or a better antenna? I'm frankly tired of buying things and having them not work or make it worse.

The radar plot report link: TV Fool

Thanks for any help you can give.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
What are the call letters of the stations you are having problems with, and which stations come in fine?

If the stations from the south come in fine and the ones from the north break up you may want to look into a bi-directional antenna like a Channel Master CM-3010 or the antenna I give instructions on how to build here: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv-reception-antenna-discussion/47526-my-antenna-system.html

Looks like you don't need more signal, you need a cleaner signal.

Everything except WKRC is UHF so a backless Gray-Hoverman may also work for you.

Last edited:

dkreichen1968

Staff member
WDTN, WHIO, WPTO, WCET, sometimes WSTR. These give me the most problems.
So, The two strongest channels from the north and some of the weaker ones from the south. You probably have two types of the same problem. Multipath interference (what was ghosting in analog). WPTO, WCET, or WSTR due to edge effects (all three are second edge) and WDTN and WPTO due to you getting the main signal on the back of the antenna and a "bounced" signal on the front of the antenna. Relocating and/or raising or lowering the antenna can help with the edge effect and can even get rid of the bounced signal. What I'm saying is that you may be able to fix the problem simple by adjusting your antena placement. That's pretty much trial and error and a bit of frustration, but once you find a good spot it can work very well. I'm still a fan of bi-directional antennas for this type of installation (signals from opposing directions). That is what I use with very good results.